Menu
jakeyworth
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Is the speed acceptable

I've never been blessed with a decent download speed throughout my virgin experience from upgrade to upgrade but for what i required at the time it suited. However asking around it seemed others were having better download speeds than me and now I'm paying more and more for the service I'm going to asking more from virgin service.

Having upgraded from 100 to 200M recently my download was still around the 100M value however its now hitting 75-85Mbps peaking at 91 with with drops as low as 45Mbps the upload is static at 20Mbps.

With the amount of expertise on here are these figures acceptable for a 200M service.

many thanks for any feed back

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is the speed acceptable

How are you testing with Wi-Fi or ethernet connected device ?

The speeds you have stated are indicative of a Network Interface Card (NIC) set at 10/100, it needs to be at 100/1000.

You check this in the settings of your device.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
jakeyworth
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike

my Nic is 10/100 on a laptop and as you have indicated this is the reason for the readings im getting.

thanks

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Hero
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

it means your equipment won't go any faster than 100Mbps usually slower.  To take advantage of speeds more than 100Mbps

you need to be using a Gigabit card set to Auto-negotiate. if you have a USB3 port you can buy on Amazon an external Gigabit card which

will allow you to get the faster speeds https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=USB+3+external+Gigabit+NIC&ref=nb_sb_noss 

0 Kudos
jakeyworth
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks buffer6 ill look into that. brill
0 Kudos