Menu
chamsters
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Is the general steer "wait it out, internet will settle once people go back to work?"

Hi folks,

I started my complaints process with VM in June last year. Things haven't improved - I've basically learned to live with it best I can. 

Ultimately, what I'm seeing is:

1) Huge number of posts per day of people complaining about their internet

2) Majority related to huge spikes, big delays, packet drops

3) No real solutions to any of these issues and lots getting same response about network being overloaded during peak times and VM being unable to keep up with the traffic.

Based on my last couple of complaints in the past week over the phone, I'm basically being told to "wait and hope it improves." 

Is it just a pointless exercise to even complain at this point? Most of us tied in contracts, unable to complain to any authority, and unable to get a decent response from VM to handle cases - they've basically all but given up. Trustpilot reflects this, too. 

How the mighty have fallen...

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is the general steer "wait it out, internet will settle once people go back to work?"

As this is a support forum that is expected. Its like going into a prison and assuming everyone is a criminal. You'll get problems posted here. VM has about 5 millions customers most of them are happy and never need to come here. (unless they need to call CS then no ones is happy:P)

The network is built based on contention, The plan of over selling to keep costs down and the expectation that at one time only 1 in 10 people will be using the services. With everyone locked up at home this is going to be higher and will show in the busy area more.

3) No real solutions to any of these issues and lots getting same response about network being overloaded during peak times and VM being unable to keep up with the traffic.

There is no real solution to this. Well there is. Build the network to support 5 in 10 people online at the same time. That costs money. Lots of money and people will not/can not pay for it. You can get 1:1 contention services. They are leased lines. But they cost in the range of £1000's for what VM offer you for £50

Trustpilot reflects this, too. 

True but where was the last online shop you bought from? Did you have any problems? no... Did you go and leave a positive review... most likely not. People moan way more then they complement 

chamsters
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is the general steer "wait it out, internet will settle once people go back to work?"

Right, so essentially "Wait it out, you're getting what you paid for?" 

Re: trustpilot point, by your logic, every company would have a crap rating. But looking at my previous ISP hyperoptic, they're 4.8 with 9,361 reviews. There would be no point looking at rating sites if only the complainers went there. 

Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In a word, yes.  For a very small number of customers subject to downstream over-utilisation the outlook is less good, so long as your problem is the more widespread upstream over-utilisation, then as soon as all the lockdown related usage declines, the problem should resolve.  Not ideal, not much anybody can do about it:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Jitter-and-latency/m-p/4610071#M379031

Ignore the comments in that post about cooling off periods, they relate to the OP's circumstances.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
chamsters
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This is an awesome summary. Frustrating but not much they can do about it...
0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@chamsters wrote:

Ultimately, what I'm seeing is:

Based on my last couple of complaints in the past week over the phone, I'm basically being told to "wait and hope it improves." 

Is it just a pointless exercise to even complain at this point? Most of us tied in contracts, unable to complain to any authority, and unable to get a decent response from VM to handle cases - they've basically all but given up. Trustpilot reflects this, too. 

So what are you seeing rather than what you believe other are seeing?
Maybe forum members could offer some useful advise?

0 Kudos