Menu
airwot4
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Is rain causing my BB issues?

Generally speaking my BB is fairly reliable. I rarely get my 200Mb download speeds but it's normally in the 100+ range.

Today it's been hovering around 15Mb so I decided to restart my router. That was a mistake, cue my internet being down for 90 minutes whilst it couldn't re-establish an upstream connection. I booked in an engineer but they won't be here until the middle of next week.

I realise that today is a heavy rain day and I seem to recall wondering before if rain could be causing issues with my connection. Perhaps it's a coincidence, perhaps everybody is inside streaming videos and causing contention. But throughout this year my speeds have been pretty okay in CF14.

Will the engineer laugh my out the door when I start to blame the weather? Or is there at least some indication of an issue in the below stats that they might be able to investigate?

Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 15.03.22.png

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is rain causing my BB issues?

No VM services run underground.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is every possibility that your BB is affected by rain.

In your case it may have something to do with your Upstream Channels running right on the max of 51.0dBmv. 

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
airwot4
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My BQM 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@airwot4 wrote:

My BQM 

That BQM looks nigh on perfect for a VM connection.

Until you see the dropped packets at the top of the graph.

Probably to do with your Upstream power levels.

You need an engineer to put them to a better level.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
airwot4
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have an ongoing issue with an online game and the game host got me to run some tests. They said that the problem was due to be getting a lot of packet loss.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

More than likely.

Did you get as far as the second sentence in Post # 5

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The best answer is from someone who does not even understand how it works.

Winner 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@happywithmy350 wrote:

The best answer is from someone who does not even understand how it works.

Winner 

Is that a constructive or sarcastic comment ?

0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

In the past I have seen water coming in cables outside windows and running down the inner core to inside the home and causing issue with TV/BB with friends family members and though the main cables and pots are under ground as someone stated the here they fill up with water and the connectors can let water in if not water tight any longer and corrode and this effects your power levels.

VM now put these things above ground where they can but I am told my area as ex TW-BY will not be anywhere.

0 Kudos