Menu
HotPotatoCrisp
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Is my computer not compatible?

Hi i am so sorry if this question has already been asking but my eyes are square reading websites for information.

I signed up for M600 a few months ago and have never been able to get any more than M60. on my PC but I get over 500 on my smartphone

I have tried everything and read so much jargon. The only thing I can come up with is that my computer is not compatible.

I have went through all the settings and it looks like I SHOULD be able to get it but nope... nada

I have a HUB 3 and connected via ethernet in the same room as the PC. I have tried a NETGEAR 1000mbps adapter but it gets the same results.

I am at my wit's end

I use my PC for gaming and this is the only issue i have ever run into with it! and it's 5 yrs old! I wish i was in a position to buy a compatible PC but unfortunately, it looks like I will have to downgrade the package.. Bit silly paying for something I can't get.

ANYHOOO... my question is.... can this be fixed by fixing a setting or buying a different router?

TIA!

Never worry, never fuss. If ya miss the train, get the bus
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is my computer not compatible?

what speed does your computer show the network card is connecting at and that wired device do you have?

How long have you had the contract as it might be costly to downgrade if outside the cooling-off period
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Replace your PC network card with a more modern one.  Simples !

0 Kudos
HotPotatoCrisp
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

1000mbps

I'm only into the contract a few months and got a good deal.. just a bit disappointing.. if I had known what I know now I never would have gone for it. I would probably just keep the tv and phone and drop the BB down to 100. I was getting no more than 25 with a previous provider for the past 13 yrs so imagine my excitement when I saw flashing M600 speeds. I jumped in without researching (which i am usually good at!). I am quite PC literate and actually never knew that PC's could be incompatible with speeds lol
Never worry, never fuss. If ya miss the train, get the bus
0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Are you using a Cat 5e or better Ethernet cable?

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Are you using Avast Anti Virus?

I was getting dreadful speeds until I turned off Avast. After doing that my speed doubled. Am using the built in Windows AV now.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
ToffeeSurprise
Superfast
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Some software interferes with speeds such as firewalls or anti virus as has been mentioned. If it's a non-Intel NIC then sometimes the drivers can be a bit unreliable as well if you use the default ones.

If it's a particularly weak laptop it could be that it hasn't got the CPU to handle high speeds, but even though your machine is 5 years old you game on it so you should be fine.

For comparison, if I take my 10 year old gaming laptop and throttle the CPU to the lowest state, a speed test gets capped at around 200Mbps. There shouldn't be any way you should be limited to 60Mbps.

I'd try a reboot into safe mode with networking and try a speed test then, that will tell you if something is interfering.

Could also be a faulty RJ45 cable, even if the adapter is operating at 1Gbps?

0 Kudos