Menu
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Is it time for Gamers and On Demand TV Programme users

Is it time for Gamers and On Demand TV Programme users to hold off until 6pm to remove strain from the network, and give home workers a fighting chance to get things done during this crisis?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is it time for Gamers and On Demand TV Programme users

The VM system should be able to cope with all.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

as long as your are not stupid about it. Save your 100gb games/torrents until off prak. everyome should manage a HD stream or 2 no problem

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
hortonj88
Superfast
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

?

It's Video streaming and on demand tv that puts strain on internet infrastructures.

Gaming at most takes 50-75MB/hour.

Netflix can go into the GB's per hour.

While I'm paying a decent amount each month for my services, I'll use them when I wish.

Ex-VM customer who left due to extreme overutilization.

35/5 BT FTTC @ 1300m until March then 900/110 BT FTTP.
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

no ones told you not to use them. you'll get slow speeds like everyone else if ti gets busy

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Facebook, Instagram, Netflix, YouTube, Apple TV, Amazon and Disney+ have all reduced their bitrates. Also CDN caching does a lot to reduce network loadings.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Richardr1
Dialled in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Press comments from the ISPs, including Virgin, indicate that the peak usage is still in the evenings - daytime is up, but still not as high. As such the networks will cope during daytime.

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have had 2 working form Home this week, and so far NO issues.

Well done VM. Keep it up.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Luke28
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

As long as we dont have a network issue in the area you shouldnt have any issue with strain on the network. So the vast majority of you feel free do game to your hearts content

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Gexton
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Wish that was the case here. There are a number of us in the BR3/BR4 area who are struggling with terrible daytime internet at the moment. 
All to do with utilisation apparently and they have given a fault number of F006805698 and an expected fix day in June!!  This is presumably when they expect everyone to return to work! News alert... some us are still trying to work, from home! 

Very frustrating as fastest BT can offer is 10mbps download and 1mbps up, so not really any alternative than to hope virgin can fix the problem. 

I expected the speeds to be better today as it’s a weekend but alas, nope, still 30% packet loss and a speedtest result of less than 1mbps download fairly regularly. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/2015a892ce570775e6b1383de376549576... 

0 Kudos