Menu
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is it me or is Browsing Slower

Since the Major London outage about 3 week sago,

When clicking on a Hyperlink! instead of a very fast response and page load, it now seems to take several seconds, and in some instance the desired page does not load correctly! hit the refresh and the page then loads almost instantly and correctly!

Oomph (Finally Sorted) + V 6 x 2 + VM Mobile Rocks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is it me or is Browsing Slower

Is a speed test (ideally via ethernet connected device) showing the correct speed?

If it is, then the problem may be a slow DNS, for which the solution is not to use the default VM DNS, but some other provider.  Plenty to choose from - I use Cloudflare.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes as I have now other issues

And Firefox and Brave are about the same as Edge (latest Version) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am really sorry to hear you're having issues with your Hyperlink TonyM

Can I ask if you're having general browsing issues when connected to ethernet? 

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee_R

Whichever browser I use (Edge, Brave, Firefox) I can click on a hyperlink from my google news home page, and a new tab will open , with the message that it is loading www. whatever bbc.co.uk, Guardian, Metro etc etc etc and then takes approx 7-10 seconds to load and render that page.

Before the Big Outage 3.5 Saturdays ago this process was only about 1-2 seconds

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Interesting!

Using A vpn via Amsterdam and its as it should be!!?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

DNS issues, try Google or such.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

connection speed

Using a vpn changes the DNS/IPADDRESS and works like a tunnel through the isp provider, although I find it slows speed and can drop off.

The choice of dns  can an affect the connection speed I have found, some faster than others, I use open dns, google is also fast. The virgin dns is usually ok but slower  on my android tablet.

The dns can be can be selected in computer adaptor settings in the ipv4 properties for ethernet  or wifi adaptors. (can not be changed on hub3 which is set to virgin dns) and can also be changed in android. .

I check broadband speed using- broadbandtest.which.co.uk

Lately I find edge will not connect properly, so I use google chrome but also have firefox as an alternative.

Clicking on a hyperlink for bbc, metro etc should normally be within a second unless the service is struggling or a fault which can be indicated by a speed test to compare  with your normal speed expected when working ok

Speed is faster using ethernet than wifi,  I found on wifi just using the 2.4g  and switching off 5g and auto selection  off helped my connection, but each situation can be different and requires going into hub settings. ( I use wifi as it is easier to set up my printers and no cabling.)

Checking who is connected to your hub to see no one is using your hub and reducing bandwidth, I use avast wifi check or router check on android or can be done in hub settings page. 

Hubs used as hot spots - not sure about that but I keep mine switched off in account- not supposed to affect speed though.

ALF28

0 Kudos