Menu
dante01
Well-informed
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Is Virgin Media Upgrading its M150 Customers to M200 for Free?

Hi,

I was previously a M150 customer that had received a  free upgrade from 100Mb to 150Mb some years back as part of another deal Virgin had going at that time. Virgin have susequently dropped their 150M broadband as an option for new customers, but had maintained this for those already subscribed to that service.

As of today, my account has been upgraded to the 200M broadband option, but without any prior warning or explanation as to why?

I've previousaly refused to either drop down to the 100M service because no discount was offered if I had done so and I refused to sign up for the 200M package because I don't need it and it would have cost me more. This negotiation/discussion was entered into last year when a VM representative said that I'd be unable to keep my existing 150M subscription, which proved not to be the case when I later spoke to another representative in the UK.

My issue is now a matter of what will happen when it comes to me renegotiating a new cointract. Am I going to be asked to pay for the 200M broadband provision in full or will I still be getting the same discounts that effectively corresponf to the 100M provision?

There was no time limit on the deal I initally entered into with Virgin Media that gave me the 150M broadband for the same price as that associated with the M100 package. I've not been informed or consulted about my speed being upgraded, the implications or the reasoning behind it?

Thanks for any response.

0 Kudos
Pars
Superfast
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is Virgin Media Upgrading its M150 Customers to M200 for Free?

I doubt you are being charged extra for this but have you looked at your account online?
Is there any update to the contract?
M350 over FTTP
0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

It's a free upgrade, 150mb cost the same as the new 200mb so your not any worse off and will still have to haggle when your contracts up

0 Kudos
dante01
Well-informed
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

THe contract hasn't been revised and still states M150 as being the broadband provision. THe contracts don't get revised up until at least 4 ereeks after changes have occured so I'd not expect the contract to reflect any changes yet. My profile definately states 200M as now being my broadband though. and there is a message posted at the top of the page:

by default 2020-05-13 at 20.21.47.png

THe Find Out More link just goes here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds

0 Kudos
dante01
Well-informed
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Am I having to haggle about the price I'd be paying for a 200Mb service though as opposed to the previous arrangement I had whereby I was regarded as  having a deal with VM that gave me the 150M service for the price of the 100M service. Virgin were obligated to give me this as long as I met the original criteria for that deal.

AS I said, I don't need 200M so I'm not going to pay more for it and id I'd have dropped down to 100M then I'd have been paying the same as I'd have been paying for the 150M package.

Does my existing long term deal still stand and is my package still effectively being charged as though I'm a 100M customer as opposed to being charge the full amount for the 200M packahe?

I've never paid the full price associated with the 150M provision and I've always had a deal that I pay the price associated with the 100M package. THe fact that the 150M provision costs the same as the 200M provision isn't of any comfort because I've never paid the full price of the 150M provision I had.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Phone and ask.

Account and contract queries cannot be answered on here. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
dante01
Well-informed
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, but my chances of getting to talk with anyone based in the UK are practically zero given the current covid-19 situation and just wondered whether any other M150 customers had any experience of this. I cannot find any info online and Virgin hadn't contacted me about it.

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have to disagree about what speed you think your paying for and what discount you got. 

XL150 and XL200 was always the same price and was £5 More than L70 or L100.

You were being charged for 150XL which was £5 more than L100 despite what the advisor said

0 Kudos
dante01
Well-informed
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

You can disagrtee all you like. I know exactly what I pay to Virgin Media and the same discounts have been in effect since I took advantage of the deal they were offering me. The upgrade from 100M to 150M was free and the subsequent bills have always been in alignment with what I'd have been paying had I still just a 100Mb subscription.

I've never, ever paid for a 150M package and I've always paid the same price as that associated with the 100Mb service. The 150 subscription was a free upgrade.

Also note that this originally goes back over 10 years prior to VM even refering to their broadband packages with the M at the end of them. I'm paying less for my package than Virgin quote for the same deal inclusive of the 100M broadband provision. This is inclusive of the other discounts I've negotiated.

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

OK a little history for you as I know quite a bit about the speed upgrades. 

XL20 became XL30 then XL60 then XL100 then XL150 then XL200.

All those speeds were the same level and equivelant price.  So yes you went from XL100 to XL150 at no extra cost. 

L10 became L10 then L30 then L50 then L100.

You could have switched from XL150 to the new lower level L100 and saved £5 per month

0 Kudos