Menu
andyfinp
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Is 1GB worth the expense?

I currently have the package that gives me about 220 download, and after having some issues (which I think were due to a mix of dodgy co-ax connections and a faulty router) I’m fairly happy with my lot - I work from home and spend most of my time on MS Teams and using Remote Desktop to machines at work, and I have two teenagers who watch their fair share of Netflix etc.

I also have invested in a good home network, everything is wired where it can be and we have mesh wireless - we’re in a good place.

Always looking to improve, I have an itchy trigger finger to move to 1GB, however I can’t justify it because when I look at my upload/download usage, even when we’re watching UHD, barely tops 30 MB - in fact, the only brief peaks are when we download the odd game, or update our phones.

Is it worth the outlay?  Will it make much difference?  How much extra is it (surprisingly hard to find out). Does anyone have any experience?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is 1GB worth the expense?

It depends what you want from it.

If you have a dodgy connection on 200Mbs moving up to 1Gbs will still be a dodgy connection.

Personally I would wait until the bugs have been ironed out.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Toiletduck2020
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Literally the worst thing Ive ever done. Went from a very stable 200meg connection for many years to a 1gig connection that drops out every few hours. Dunno if its the speed or the new Hub 4 but zero support from Virgin on this.

Dont risk it if you work from home.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

unless you have multiple devices all wanting to stream 4k HDR content at the same time, then no it's not worth it.

almost no-one needs 1Gbps downstream.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Toiletduck2020 wrote:

Literally the worst thing Ive ever done. Went from a very stable 200meg connection for many years to a 1gig connection that drops out every few hours. Dunno if its the speed or the new Hub 4 but zero support from Virgin on this.

a marginal line at lower speeds will cope with some amount of line errors.
when you try and push more down the line then it can't cope with the line issues that were already there but invisible previously, and thus you get problems.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos