Menu
Colinwm86
Tuning in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Internet speeds wireless and Ethernet

Ok so I’ve had virgin now for a couple of weeks to take advantage of their faster connection.  The only thing is the wireless connection is only good if I’m sitting right next to the router (hub 3) speeds fluctuate wildly.  Also have my PS4 plugged into the box via Ethernet and it’s worse on average I’m getting 60mbps of my 350mbps? Before anyone says it’s the PS4 or cable I’ve also tried laptops and different cables the outcomes the same.  The odd time on the PS4 the speed test will jump up too 240mbps and then another test strait back down again.  Sometimes the updates for my games are going between 2 and 5 MBs which would be about 40mbps.   I never had any problems like this with my sky hub Ethernet was always full speed from the off go!  Can anyone advise me is there a setting to change that will solve these issues I can play with my wireless channels no problem but it’s the Ethernet I am struggling with to get sorted! 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet speeds wireless and Ethernet

Regarding your PS4 the PSN has been reported as capping download limits during the COVID outbreak, so testing on that device is not going to be a good representative of actual download/upload speed.

Regarding wireless speed by default there is one wireless SSID (network) you connect to with Virgin Media HUBs. Devices may end up connecting at a lower speed. You can 'force' a device to connect to the faster, albeit less range, band by splitting your SSID into two, one for 2.4Ghz, and one for 5Ghz.

Could you access your router using http://192.168.0.1/ .

Log in using the password on the base of the router, unless you've already changed it.

Navigate to Advanced Settings \ Wireless \ Security

You will see two sections, one for 2.4 Ghz and one for 5 Ghz. Change each 'SSID' to something different to identify which one to connect to. Personally I appended the existing name with '_2G' and '_5G'.

At the very bottom click 'Apply Changes'.

Note you will need to reconnect all wireless devices as the SSID (Network Name) will have changed.

When re-connecting use the '_5G' name if it's visible, if not use '_2G'.

If your device cannot 'see' the '_5G' network then unfortunately its a limitation with the hardware built into the device.

A further note is you will probably never see the full 350Mbps on wireless, even when right next to the HUB, due to hardware limitations of devices and the technology used by the HUB.

0 Kudos
Colinwm86
Tuning in
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I’ve it on auto so if there is 5ghz available it will connect to it but the range on the 5ghz is poor.  I’m having trouble with my laptop too no matter what device I plug in via Ethernet it does the same speed!  I’m not to convinced by this box at all.  To confirm too I was using sky the whole way through the lockdown and it went faster via Ethernet! All my problems are with Ethernet and from searching online I’m not the only one 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Ok, we need to check the router stats.

Could you access your router using http://192.168.0.1/ . Don't log in, select the 'Check Router Status' option and paste your 'Downstream', 'Upstream', and 'Network Log' tabs?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

You won’t get full speeds on a console. Wired or wireless.

What speed do you get wired direct to the hub with a desktop/laptop with a gigabit enabled NIC and a CAT5e or better cable?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Colinwm86
Tuning in
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I’m using a cat6 10m cable and it doesn’t matter if it’s the PS4 or the laptop it’s the same outcome.  Using Speedtest.net for my testing 

0 Kudos
Colinwm86
Tuning in
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

57E721B9-B6E3-46F9-9986-AB317277BDCA.png

850FD053-BCE2-4941-B0DF-6BE254613723.png

AE77CB0F-278B-4DF1-82F9-5CA9EAAB9C7A.png

20E463D2-0570-400B-9136-3FD96F545EE8.png

 is this what you need ? 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

We can't see it as the images must be approved.

You could copy paste the raw text from the tabs.

0 Kudos
Colinwm86
Tuning in
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I’m on my phone and it doesn’t copy properly for some reason.  How long does it take them to approve ? 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I can see most of them. The Downstream power levels are high, but not out of spec.

The data at the bottom of the 'Downstream' tab is missing from your screenshots.

0 Kudos