cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet speed

Abdul_123
Joining in

Am writing to say that this wifi is really slow don’t get me wrong but the Download speed is fine 300mbp per second but when am gaming or even trying to search safari or even watch Netflix or YouTube it’s really slow like just now it kept saying the server stopped responding try refresh your page it’s horrible I can’t game I can’t watch anything without it cutting off  am constantly using data. It’s been going on since we have joined virgin. We’ve re booted the wifi many times I’ve also checked if the wires are in perfectly. But still no difference 

5 REPLIES 5

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Abdul_123,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your internet speed at the moment, I have tried to locate you on our system using your forum profile but have been unable to. 

Are you having any issues with wired connections to your hub or is it just issues with WiFi connections? Have you reported your issues to our team at all? 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What are network connections like when you try them on ethernet cable connected devices rather than wifi ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Steven

It’s just the wifi connection to be honest while am replying to you my internet just decided to disconnect it does that a lot disconnect and then connect again my brother uses Ethernet cable but even then slow wifi and high ping I don’t really know what to do every time I come home I pray my wifi would be stable. I hope you could help I don’t haven’t information I will need to ask my mum about the account number and stuff 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If ethernet connections are all ok (hence me asking you to "test" them) then it suggests that your VM internet connectivity is all fine... and its just wifi issues you are experiencing.  In which case - see this,,,

if its a wifi only issue then on a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the Hub settings.   At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better more stable wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point or (4), A combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi @Abdul_123 thanks for your reply.

Are you able to kindly run a speed test here via ethernet cable and let us know how you get on?

Can you post your Hub status and logs? 
How to do this;
• Please go to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode),
• Don't log in, click on 'router status'
• Copy/paste the data from each of the tabs as text into a 'REPLY' as opposed to 'QUICK REPLY'. Please do not include your MAC address.
Also, set up a 'Broadband Quality Monitor'. This will monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts etc 
Give it a while to gather data and then click 'Share Live graph' and paste the 'Direct Link' into the forum.
Many thanks

Tom_W