Menu
Eblack2141
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Internet speed keeps falling and rising at random points in the day

Usually later on in the day or early morning, my internet speeds start to drop to 0.09 Mb/s and rise back to the usual on and off for a long amount of time. Today it did this and completely disconnected from the internet. Could this be an issue on my end or is this fixable on virgin's end. I have tried restarting everything multiple times and it most of the time it just makes the internet go out fully. 

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet speed keeps falling and rising at random points in the day

You have not mentioned the most crucial point. Are you connected to the hub by ethernet wire or WiFi?

If this is a WiFi connection, do a speed test with a wired connection as that is the only way to check what Virgin are providing.

0 Kudos
Eblack2141
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am connected with ethernet, speeds on wifi and wired are both effected.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Eblack2141

Sorry to hear of this. 

How's the speeds been since posting? If you need anything further, please do keep me posted.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Eblack2141
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

for the past week or two, at random times we have been losing all or almost all upload speed. The amount of time this lasts for is random and can last for hours at most.

0 Kudos
Eblack2141
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It just happened to me 5-10 mintues ago actually not sure if that helps

0 Kudos
Eblack2141
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Now the download is going down to 10 Mbps.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

First, set up a free “BQM” to continually monitor the state of your connection and any dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of all of your network disconnection data (ensure you have “enable ping” box ticked in the hub settings).

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

Then, check all your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing (rabbit chews!). Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

If that’s all good.... post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon at top right or the text at bottom middle - of first page up (depending on which hub you have) and then copy/paste 3 sets of data onto here - the downstream, upstream, & network logs. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & don’t include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos