Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Internet speed drops around 8-10PM daily

Hi,

I've had an engineer out three times, and due a fourth, but i'm not convinced it's an issue at my home because the speeds are now usually quite good. Between approximately 8-10PM everyday, my internet speeds drop from 100Mbps to 9Mbps and below, meaning that no one can stream/video call/game at the same time. After this time, the speed goes back up.

Help appreciated! It's been going on for two months now, and has become quite fustrating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet speed drops around 8-10PM daily

These symptoms are usually over-utilisation; If that's the case then it is bad news, because it may not be fixed any time soon.  But before jumping to that conclusion we can check how your connection is performing if you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor.  Let it run for 24 hours, then click on the link to share a snapshot chart and post a link (not an image) back here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I will do this now. But this is a big problem, this is pretty much the time we have off-work, and this is also lower than our guaranteed minimum speed of 54Mbps. Would we have rights to cancel (if this was the case)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes,  you can leave without penalty if the speed problem persists, even intermittently, and VM can't fix it within 30 days of you reporting it (note that these forums wouldn't count as reporting it).  At the company's discretion, if they agree that they won't be able to fix the problem you may not have to allow them the thirty days.

Read the definitions in the link below about how to measure speed, the requirement to prove the speeds have been low on three consecutive days, but remember that's MINIMUM speed, so a single measured instance on one day counts, even if every other measurement on that day was at your full contracted speed.

But I suggest you wait and see whether the BQM shows a utilisation problem (we'll know tomorrow), then consider your options.  I always suggest that if considering swapping ISP that you get the Openreach ISP installed and working for a week before cancelling VM (and indeed the same approach if joining VM), as that means if there's a delay you're not left without internet access, and if the new connection is problematic you'd have a 14 day penalty free cancellation choice.  A further recommendation if considering changing ISP is to give serious thought to the smaller customer-service led ISPs like AAISP, Aquiss, uno, IDnet and Zen Internet.  Look them and the big ISPs up on Trustpilot to see what their customers have to say before committing.  If you just choose on price and marketing, then you'll end up with companies like Talktalk, Sky, Vodafone etc, who have similarly disappointing customer service to you-know-who. 

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/virgin-media-speed-policy

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your detailed response! Let's see how this monitor performs.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Here is the results. The blue spikes coincide with having severe problems with real-time applications. My internet dropped again to around 9Mb/s.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I am afraid we cannot approve the image as it shows you external IP which is identifiable as unique too you, and this is against the forum rules.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Oops, i've edited it out here. Thanks!

capture2.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

44.png

I've spoken to Virgin by phone, and appears there is over-utilisation in my area. They've set me up to be monitored for 30 days, and since it doesn't sound like they can fix it, hopefully I can cancel after this. Unfortunately I will have to wait out the 30 days, even if the problem has been experienced in the first 3. But, I will then hopefully try the likes of Zen in the meantime!

0 Kudos