cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet slow

RyanGreeley
On our wavelength

Hello, looking for a bit of help as getting it from Virgin is impossible. My speeds seem to have slowed down the past couple of weeks and where i used to get signal or good speeds as changed. I am due a new contract also if anyone can help with that or will i need to ring. More importantly the internet speeds.

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What package are you on?
What Hub model do you have?
What speeds do you get on wifi?
What speeds do you get on an ethernet cable connection?

Contract negotiations are best done when your old contract has terminated and done over the phone to their retentions team - Re. Contract renegotiation - see Andrew’s comments in message 6 here...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/New-contract/td-p/4888761

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I am on m100 fibre broadband, i have the hub 3. I have just done a speedtest and got 9.78mbs download speed and  7.07 upload. Like i said the internet as been fine until the last couple weeks. Where i used to get good signal and speed as changed. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @RyanGreeley 

You should do the speed test on a PC with the ethernet cable. 

Sometimes ethernet cables work loose or break, so check it's pushed firmly into the hub. Also try a different ethernet port on the hub, and also try a different ethernet cable.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I have done the test using wifi. PC is upstairs and booster is at the bottom of the stairs with the hub in the living room.  Prior to previous test iv'e now got 40.8 download and 0.08 upload.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @RyanGreeley 

Speed tests should be done on a wired connection. VM don't guarantee wifi speeds.

Have you tried changing the wirless channel to see if that helps?

You could do a search for an app such as wifi analyzer which tells you the strength of the channel you are connected on, and also shows other channels so you can decide if you want to change the channel number on your hub to improve your signal

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the Manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Just get a cheap 20/50 metre run of Cat5e ethernet cable - trail it upstairs and connect it to the Hub and the PC and test speeds. When done - roll it up and save it in your bits drawer

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.