Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Internet is extremely slow over 4 month!

I live in Penarth and since over 4 month the speed went dow to below 10Mbps .

i have VIVID 200 Optical Fibre .

my wife was struggling with Virgin Media and conduct all the tests but nothing happened . My contract is till July . Can this be fix as soon as possible because I ‘m back home and I started working from

home or can we terminate the contract since VM can’t give us the speed we want . Now I’m connecting my laptop to my mobile which has Vodafone !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet is extremely slow over 4 month!

Are you connecting with Wi-Fi or ethernet cable?

...............................................................................................

Firstly set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Then

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter.  When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’. Copy and paste the contents of each tab onto here, a Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have just figured out that the WiFi is bad . With WiFi’s is extremely slow . Wired is ok .

would you explain further by BQM ? Have I to download a tool ?

i did only Speedtest and it shows since nobody home the following results :

1- WiFi : 

download : 48.74

upload: 20.72

2 - Wired :

download : 203.04

upload: 20.91 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

BQM is an online tool done away from your PC / phone /device, you don't need to download anything.

You are getting contracted speeds using ethernet cable so all is good with your connection speed wise.

As for Wi-Fi, if you don't need it, it is nothing to worry about. If you do rely on Wi-Fi you need to look at improving it.

Many on here, myself included advocate the use of a third party Gigabit capable Wi-Fi router or Mesh system.

At the best of times Wi-Fi is a fickle beast that can be affected by numerous things such as distance from the Hub,  building construction, other electronic devices, neighbouring Wi-Fi, basically all sorts.

VM supply to the Hub, after the Hub it is up to you.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much . 
so better for me to buy a good router right . Actually I’m looking for something which can do a good distribution of loads/performance , also which has a good firewall where I can schedule blocking video games and also Schedule Access and MAC filtering . Can you recommend something ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You are better off researching for routers in your budget, there are plenty of online reviews to read.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@MahmoudFagir wrote:

i did only Speedtest and it shows since nobody home the following results :

1- WiFi : 

download : 48.74

upload: 20.72

2 - Wired :

download : 203.04

upload: 20.91 

So what device(s) are you using to "test" wifi speeds?  Do you know if they are connecting on the 2.4 or 5 GHz bands?  If you have a Hub3 - have you tried separating the 2 bands so you can select which one to connect to.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I’m using laptop and also iPad and phone.

I check the speed using Speedtest.net

i’m using the default setting as per screenshot

13D42AF0-7B42-4F41-B221-104F3003F839.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It looks like you haven’t already done this - try it as an experiment
Access your Hub settings - (go to http://192.168.0.1 your browser) and navigate to “smart wifi” and then tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.
After doing that - go in to advanced>wireless>security, and just rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's (just change 'em to something like ... xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) use the same password for both, save settings and restart Hub.
Over wifi you can then individually select the network that you want each device to connect to.
See if that helps if not you can always reset it all back with a pinhole reset of the Hub.
You should also use a wifi scanning App to see what 2.4 wifi channels are most congested from your neighbours and ensure you set your channel to the one which shows least use/power of the 3 non-overlapping channels 1,6,11. at that location.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you really for your response and way of trouble shooting.

i spectated the 2 and 5 , I connected only two devices (iPhone to 5, and iPad to 2.4)

when I’m less than 2 meters away from the router the results are :

1- iPhone : 208 Mbps

2- iPad : 46 Mbps

going next room:

1- iPhone : 40 Mbps and one bar signal

2- iPad: 20 Mbps and two bars signal

by the way I have additional appearing SSID called Virgin Media and can’t see it in the router even I did reset the router to default is done point but the devil is there . When I switch if the router it disappears 

0 Kudos