Menu
Psyzor
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Internet cutting out and low speeds for the last week!

I've been with Virgin Media for years and been on their 350+ package for a few years now but every few months we get issues where our internet speeds drop and drop and drop and then the connection goes. When to comes back it slowly goes back up to max speeds before restarting the cycle... Just like right now when writing this message.

We've had.... what... 5 techs come out to look at the issue and had the router replaced every single time and yet the problem keeps happening. Every time I call the support line I have to fight them so very hard to get a tech to come out when it's a recurring issue! I tried calling the line today (After going through far too many hoops just to find the damn number!) and went through all their checks etc. just to be told that the lines were closed!! Seriously?! It shouldn't be this hard to get someone to look at our issue or to get it resolved for good.

I hope that someone from the Tech team sees this and is willing to help us out. My partner is a live streamer and she's missed a whole weeks plus of stream costing her money.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet cutting out and low speeds for the last week!

If your wife depends on the internet connection for business, you should have a business contract not a residential one. It come with a SLA guaranteeing faster fix/response times.

However, are your connection issues evident on ethernet cable connected devices - or only on the wifi ones ? You have had 5 Hubs so that's not the issue. It's either just a wifi problem - easily fixed - or you have a cabling problem more difficult - but 5 techies should have spotted it and sorted it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Psyzor
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

We don't have a business account because even the next package up has a worse upload speed than our current connection for more money and upload is quite important when it comes to streaming.

As for the connection issues, when the connection goes it takes out all connections (I've got some software that I run now to keep an eye on outages and usage on the network) and I can't access the router when it happens too but the lights on the router don't change at all. The outages are usually no more than 15 seconds but when they happen at any point it's becomes a real pain to do anything online.

I believe one of the techs suggest that because we live so close to the main connection that if there are any power spikes it can screw our connection / screw up the router but I'd have thought they'd have things in place to deal with this also. They've checked the cabling inside and out and always say that it's working fine so I really don't know. The last tech did suggest that a senior tech should come out if it happens again but trying to tell the person on the phone this is almost impossible.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You didin't say in the reply above - is this happening on devices connected by ethernet cable or just on wifi?
If on cabled connections -- have You tried new Cat6 cables? Old cables can fail and Cat6 is specced for better shielding from electrical interference. There are some reports on here (see link) where similar issues were cured by getting new Cat6 cables - long shot but worth a try.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/ethernet-connection-floating-between-20-and...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Psyzor
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I would have thought that All Connections covered both Wifi and Ethernet connections. But yes both mine and my partners PCs and the PS4 that are on Ethernet all lose connection at the same time that all the Wifi devices lose connection too. I am currently running Cat.6 cables all over the house and as I also believed that this might be the issue a year and a half ago but seems to have not fixed it. I am also making sure that they are away from any electrical devices.

Finally got through to Virgin Media tech support and a senior tech will be coming out at the end of next week. Shame it's so long but I can understand the time frame with the world in it's current state.

0 Kudos
DuncanInnes
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sounds very familiar.  Check out this thread of mine which has some helpful techniques for improving the Hub 3.0 behaviour.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Intermittent-speeds-and-ping-spikes-drops/td-p/4209137

Basically I set a timer to power down the Hub for 5 minutes every night at 04:00.  It behaves *much* better as a result, but I still get kicked off work video calls once every day or two.  Prior to the reboots I would have trouble in every Skype call I made.  So whilst it's not solved the problem for me, it's made things very much better.

0 Kudos
Psyzor
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As the tech was going to take 5 days to send a tech over I bought a second router and put my Virgin Media router into Modem mode. This seems to have massively improved my internet speeds and stability so cancelled the tech visit.

0 Kudos
Psyzor
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Seems I spoke too soon. Seems still getting intermittent connection issues today. Typical that I get the issue after I've cancelled my tech, even though I don't believe that will help any ways as it seem so many people across the country are having the same issue.

0 Kudos