Menu
RachelClare87
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Internet Speed

I joined Virgin about a week ago after seeing they have the fastest speeds - I work from home permanently so need the best internet and for it to be working.

I signed up for the M100 Fibre Broadband:

Advertised speeds: download 108mbps, upload 10mbps

Minimum guaranteed: download 54mbps, upload 10mbps

I test my internet speed regularly - several times a day - and not once has it come anywhere close to the 108mbps and barely close to the 54mbps. On average my upload speed is between about 7 and 30 (and at one point was 0.05!); my upload speed anywhere between 0.1mbps (completely unacceptable) and 8.

I have tried over and over to contact Virgin who tell me to only phone if it's an emergency (I have phoned and was just left on hold) but not given any other method of contacting (live chat/email). I have been Tweeting them and finally told about this Forum.

What can I do to improve my internet speeds?? I have re-booted the modem several times, I have the Virgin Media Connect app (which tells me my speeds are fine). I am at a loss with what to do!!!!

I've seen that if the speeds aren't met that I might be able to cancel my contract but I assume that would involve actually speaking to someone...

0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet Speed

Hi there

Thanks for your post.

Can I ask which speed test sites are you using to run these speeds tests?

Also are you running them on WiFi or Hardwired and if WiFi are you next to the modem?

If you are able to run a hardwired speed test to a laptop on either fast.com or speedtest.net then see what you please?

Thanks
Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
RachelClare87
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response.

I was just using the one that came up on Google but I just ran a test on speedtest.net and got fairly similar to the Google one for this time of day. Upload = 34.94, download = 3.43.

I'm testing over WiFi as the modem has to be connected to the specific Virgin wall socket in my living room and I'm working in my office/second bedroom. I can run a test using an ethernet but that wouldn't give the speed I work on as I have to use the WiFi due to the flat layout.

I've tested the speed stood next to the modem and the speeds were around 40mbps.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It could be that your device is connected to the 2.4Ghz. What device are you running the speed test on?

Try downloading the 'Virgin Media Connect' app from the app store and use this to run a WiFi check around the house. It should help you with black spots, coverage issues and speed test results. 

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
RachelClare87
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Yeah I did wonder about changing to the 5Ghz one but I read that's more powerful in short distances, so it wouldn't travel as well through walls to where I work, is this true? I'll give it a go anyway and see (I assume I can change it back?)

Virgin did say they don't recommend changing it but not sure why

Thanks for your help

Rachel

0 Kudos