Menu
WiFiUser00
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Internet Speed Consistently Poor + Constant Buffering

Hi guys,

I didn’t want to have to write a complaint about this but these issues have been dragging on for way too long now. My Internet speed hardly ever goes anywhere near the 200mbps I pay for monthly, to the point where it’s so slow it’s almost unusable and the connection cuts out or decides to irrationally drop whenever it feels like it. I had these issues also with an old router at which time I contacted Virgin for them to send me a router. However, ever since I got the new router, the issues have only gotten worse! I also tweeted them to which there wasn’t much help or response other than to use the Connect app which hasn’t been any help for this issue, and tried all basic troubleshooting tips such as power cycling, pinhole resetting, factory resetting the router and also when I called they “sent a signal from their end”, none of which has fixed these issues. Now the speeds aren’t just worse but also whenever I try and stream anything I’ll experience constant buffering that is just preposterous considering you only need around 10-40 mbps for streaming purposes, if I’m not mistaken? I barely even get 10-20 mbps majority of the time, and even on the rare instances when the speed test claims that I have higher than these speeds, I STILL encounter regular buffering. It has hampered my ability to work from home during lockdown and also to watch things like Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video etc and this has occurred way too often for what is theoretically supposed to be a super fast 200mbps connection. Take a look at how erratic the speeds are from the screenshotsEA22BAAE-43EB-4F52-A4C2-FAECAD5E4B74.jpeg7CC21246-C846-4237-A16E-EEF890364006.jpeg8F0D5ADF-76C5-4F90-B008-D409001C46E0.jpegD77C580C-ED17-4A4C-8105-9F48C3F7BE26.jpeg536BAAF6-C81F-4750-96F8-14354DE919B6.jpegFDFB27B9-DFCF-444D-B39F-1BCD7FBAE561.jpeg, that’s only the tip of the iceberg! I’m seriously considering leaving Virgin Media completely after this experience because it’s way too unstable/inconsistent and doesn’t deliver on the promised service or speeds. 

Sorry for ranting but thank you for your cooperation and understanding!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet Speed Consistently Poor + Constant Buffering

Create a BQM and post the live link.

0 Kudos
WiFiUser00
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

Thanks for the swift reply. I’ve never done it before but I’ve created a BQM using the link, hopefully I did it right. Here’s the live link: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/d803d77009977073506fea4b6261cb0c57...

0 Kudos
flyinglion
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Also in Area 21.

Look through the forums and Twitter search and there is literally hundreds if not thousands of us with the exact same problem.

Don't even get responses on the forum these days. Day 31 of these issues and my internet is unusable. 

With no timeline provided whatsoever and communication impossible bringing you to the same patronising troubleshooting guide, I've already ordered my BT hub.

0 Kudos
WiFiUser00
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Have you had a chance to take a look at my BQM? Are you able to provide some sort of advice or solution for the poor broadband?
0 Kudos
Buffer6
Hero
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Login to your Hub http://192.168.0.1/ if in router mode  http://192.168.100.1/ if in modem mode

Select devices connected and look at the speed connected for the device you're using

what does it say?

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@WiFiUser00 wrote:
Have you had a chance to take a look at my BQM? Are you able to provide some sort of advice or solution for the poor broadband?

BQM looks fine except for the outages (All red):

carl_pearce_0-1611661669400.png

0 Kudos
WiFiUser00
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

In the room of the router on the “Connected Devices” screen on the Virgin 192.168.0.1 website, it is showing 49.73 mbps for the speed of the iPad I’m using to write this message. Using Speedtest, I am getting 15 mbps, again right next to the router. I can’t remember the last time I got anything upwards of 50 mbps at all to be honest, remember I am paying for 200 mbps. It’s an absolute disgrace that nothing has been done about this when I’ve contacted them numerous times, the Internet is almost unusable for both streaming and gaming for leisure purposes and also for video conferencing, Zoom, Microsoft Teams etc for work purposes. The problems have been going on for a long time now, like I said I had ordered a new router and the problems on this one are even worse than the old one. Seriously considering leaving Virgin when my contract expires in March, not recommended for anyone considering the promise of speed and reliability they give for their WiFi.

0 Kudos