Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Internet Drops out and Slow speed seemingly while gaming.

Hi, can't seem to get through to anyone from Virgin on chat or phone. Hopefully someone here can help!

I've just moved house where i had the 200mb package and was excited to upgrade to the full blown 500 one.

I'm getting slow download speeds of about 50mb sometimes...up to 100 at best. I seem to be able to download game installs relatively okay (even though it definitley feels a LOT slower than my 200 in the old house).

What's really bad is that in my office (and my wife's downstairs) the internet connection seems very intermittent. I tried playing an MMO and the lag was terrible, voice chats kept cutting out, and i'm even losing connection to servers in single player games. I've also noticed when i try to do something like load a game the whole connection will go and my wifi will show 'connected, no internet'.

It's definitley not the wifi signal as i have a booster in.. i even bought an extender where i really shouldn't need it for a 4 bed house and have perfectly strong wifi signal (checked with an app on the phone it reaches my office at full strength).

I've turned the hub off and on again... didn't work.

I've done a full reset via the pin at the back and re-set up the name a password and it still doesn't seem fixed.

It seems to be okay, if slow, when browsing but soon as i try do anything in game or that requires constant connection it dips and drops out at random.

I'm at a loss! Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet Drops out and Slow speed seemingly while gaming.

What speed do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I'm afraid I literally don't have anything I can easily plug in with a Cat 5. All my laptops are too slim to have Ethernet port and I don't have/can't find my USB-C adapter (having recently moved it's gone missing somewhere/never really used in the first place)

Will a speed test via Wi-Fi suffice near the router? (considering the problem is with Wi-Fi connection)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I am having the same issue - dropped to between 2 - 5 mbps.

Nothing showing online as an issue - in Canvey Island, Essex
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

It's a speed problem.. but also the fact it drops out completely... sometimes i'll lag in game..othertimes it will drop out completely to 'connected, no internet'
May just be confirmation bias but it seems to be as soon as I try to play games... that's when it gives out as if it's 'stressed' and breaks.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Speed tests using Wi-Fi are not evidence of WAN speed and VM supply the WAN, Wi-Fi is to put it simply a by product of the WAN produced by the Hub.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

That's fair enough, I just literally don't have a way to easily get an ethernet cable plugged in to a device near the hub. I have an NVIDIA shield plugged into the router and that's about it. (Not sure if there's a way to do a test on that?).

The problem is that it seems to cut out entirely it's not just a speed problem as it literally goes to no connection/no internet sometimes.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I managed to use a google App Store speed test on the shield which was plugged in via cable direct to router.

tried to take picture but exceeded file size.

results:

534 mbps download 

37.97 upload 

ping: 16.8ms

jitter 2.6ms

So seems might be a WiFi problem interestingly!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Welcome to the Trials & Tribulations of Wi-Fi

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

If you remove all the internal walls, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from a VM Hub.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, fish tanks, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwaves ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

The thing I don't understand is I have boosters... I even installed a TP-Link RE650 AC2600 in the next room and everything's saying i have really strong Wi-Fi signal the wifi never disappears the signal never drops just the internet bit of it.
0 Kudos