Menu
scottyccfc
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Internet Dropping

Hi all

Having a few issues the last year. Im on 250mb package in Ireland and Ive gone through 3 routers with VM. Ive split the frequencies to 2.4 and 5gz. The 2.4 (max 15mb) and 5ghz (max 100mb) both drop a few times a day. Its impossible to get through a movie/tv series on Netflix/AMazon/Hayu without the connection buffering or pixelating. My internet connection drops alot too. The 5ghz while speedy is just not usable. I also need 2.4 for a few devices like my Sonos etc.

Just had an engineer out who basically did 3 things

1) Disable channel optimisation

2) Changed DHCP ipv6 to stateful

3) Wirelsss signal to manual for 5ghz

The problem now since his changes Im getting speeds of 4/5mb on 5ghz. Has his changes messed up my speeds? The issue here is Im also seeing drops in ethernet connection and after 3 new "VM Hubs" Im guessing its an issue external to the actual router. Any help is appreciated

Edit: Also is there another recommended router I could purchase that could possibly improve this situation? Any other providr options is phone line, I dont really want to go that route. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet Dropping

As you know this is the Virgin Media UK forum.

We can provide advice (if we know) but the VM Forum Staff will not be able to arrange any technical work or do backend checks of your system.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You need to know if you are getting your contracted speed to the Hub before looking at Wi-Fi problems / settings.

What is your connection like with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

Also try this ...

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
scottyccfc
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yeah fully aware I cant get any official VM help but the reason Im asking here is I have exhausted all options this side of the pond

(Ill get the speeds with the ethernet cable too for you thanks)

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/cec0384614be34d032916042bbfa69eec5... 

Edit: hmmm looks like nothing is showing up? Is that correct?

0 Kudos
scottyccfc
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scottyccfc,

Sorry to hear you're having internet connection drop outs and have been unable to get assistance from our Virgin Media Ireland. I'm unable to check your details as they use a different system to us but please see their contacts page here and you may tweet them at @VirginmediaIE if you have a Twitter account.

Thanks,

Lisa 

0 Kudos