cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent very slow broadband

Smithsax
On our wavelength

I have a hub 4 in modem mode with an eero mesh system. One gig connection speed.

All was fine until a couple of weeks ago. Broadband download has started slowing from its usual 1000 to less than 5, but not dropping all together. Upload remains unchanged at about 100. This is for both wired and wifi.

The only thing that fixes it is a hub reboot. Everything goes back to normal but only for a few hours or at best a couple of days. Tried a factory reset which lasted three days then the problem recurred.

Took it out of modem mode and disconnected the eero but it still happend so it is the hub side not the mesh.

Does this sound like a connection problem or hardware? I know reboots sometimes temporarily fix poor connections. BRSK are currently cabling our street but I cant think they could do anything to interfere with our connection.

I suspect I will have to get a technician out but posting here just in case anyone has any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Smithsax
On our wavelength

Thanks. We had a technician her today and I think we have identified the problem - fingers crossed. He found our signal to be OK and decided to install a new hub 5. This refused to initialise - yellow flashing light.

We had an old TV/broadband splitter which was capped off at the TV side because we no longer take TV. He removed this and the box initialised and we now have the best speeds ever. 1.2 gig download and 100 meg upload.

All very stable so far so I am optimistic. Time will tell if it is a cure but it looks like a faulty splitter was the issue.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

MarcusB
Tuning in

Having similar issues, speeds currently non existent in a 1GB connection, Hub 5 in modem mode

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, Smithsax.
Thanks for posting on our help forums and sorry to see you've had issues with intermittent broadband recently.

Upon our checks there seem to be no area issues currently that could explain the intermittent service, however we'd be happy to run more checks and monitor your connection if that's still needed.

To do this we'd need you to switch to router mode so we can communicate with your kit, we've also noticed you had a visit from our technician to help fixing this earlier.

Could you please tell us how things went and if your services are working fine now?
Happy to assist further if the issues persist, cheers.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Smithsax
On our wavelength

Thanks. We had a technician her today and I think we have identified the problem - fingers crossed. He found our signal to be OK and decided to install a new hub 5. This refused to initialise - yellow flashing light.

We had an old TV/broadband splitter which was capped off at the TV side because we no longer take TV. He removed this and the box initialised and we now have the best speeds ever. 1.2 gig download and 100 meg upload.

All very stable so far so I am optimistic. Time will tell if it is a cure but it looks like a faulty splitter was the issue.