Menu
Cam68
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent / snail like broadband

Hi everyone,

I have 3 tenants who have experienced really slow / intermittent broadband for at least 1 month. In fact, so slow 1 of them recently lost her job as a result. They've tried all the usual rebooting, resetting, moving hub, checking connections, changing channel, online diagnostics etc etc. They have regularly been getting 0.93 mbps download, 0.09 mbps upload speeds - as I'm paying for 200 mbps this is clearly not acceptable for them (or me who pays the bill).

When I called VM yesterday, they advised me there was a service issue in their area (N16DQ, area 15) and this would be fixed by 9am Tues 8 Sept - I signed up for text alerts/service updates and was advised yesterday morning by text that the issue was resolved (Virgin Media Outage Update F008348958. We're pleased to tell you this issue is now fixed. Best wishes, the Virgin Media Team).

My tenants still have an intermittent service though - they ran 2 speedtests in 5 mins. The 1st gave 49.2 mbps download & 16.2 mbps upload which seemed good, the 2nd though gave 0.85 mbps download & 0.69 mbps upload a few minutes later. So all is still not fixed despite the text.

Can anyone shed any light on this? VM's diagnostics (over the phone and online) suggested that the hub is fine. (Previous speed/service issues seemed to have been resolved by a hub change. The current hub is perhaps 2 years old) and was installed by a VM technician).

I also rang the VM service number (0800 561 0061) this morning and it still gives a message about a complex service issue at that postcode taking longer to fix than normal. 

Any help would be much appreciated as I have 3 very unhappy tenants (esp the one who lost a job as a result if the poor VM service).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent / snail like broadband

With outstanding VM work there is nothing we can do to help fix the problem, what we can do is advise how to get the best from the broadband once the outside VM issue is fixed.

I am guessing that your tenants are using Wi-Fi to connect to the VM Hub ?

There is no doubt that ethernet connections are better than Wi-Fi in the vast majority of situations so connecting the individual units to the Hub using decent spec ethernet cable would be the best choice.

Second to that installing; a third party Gigabit capable Wi-Fi router or Mesh system would help to get a decent Wi-Fi signal throughout the property.

Both of these will cost a few bob but without doubt they will mean happy tenants and also be a selling point for new renters.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Cam68
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike. Appreciate your reply. We received another text from VM yesterday pm to say the service issue had been resolved. My tenants did 2 speedtests this morning, the 1st gave 7.23 mbps download & 8.39 mbps upload, followed by 3.37 mbps download & 2.57 mbps upload a few minutes later. So clearly all is still not well. They do use wiFi but we've never had prolonged slow speeds like this before. I've asked 1 of the tenants to try the ethernet cable that serves a TPLink powerline unit that we used for 1 of the previous tenants. I'll let you know what the speeds are. My personal view is that the broadband signal is still not strong/stable and that's maybe the core issue - other hardware may help but if the hub signal is poor, then the internet speed will also under perform. Either that or the hub itself has an intermittent issue which was the problem we had 2 years back.

Good tip about the Mesh system - this looks great and 1 in each room could be an option and a cheap price to pay to keep my tenants happy. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Craig89
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Mike.....You've just advised me as well. I've been trying to getVM to help but never get a response.
I did get a badge??? though, for posting something!
0 Kudos