Menu
Johnlloyd45
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent slow speed with Powerline WiFi Extender

I have one of the new Powerline WiFi extenders and when I have it set-up to boost the main Hub's WiFi signal I have intermittent but regular problems with the wifi being unusably slow. The main Hub works perfectly and I always get very fast speeds through it. We notice the problem most when using Windows laptops (Windows 10). It has also happened when using our iPhones but not as frequently.

The Extender also works perfectly and fast if I connect to the ethernet port with a patch cable, with no issues. This is my work-around for the issue but means I need to keep moving the extender closer to my laptop and drape a cable across my desk - not ideal.

I've also found that I don't have any problems if I set the extender to broadcast a separate wifi signal (so I have two distinct WiFi networks in the house). This is also not a long term solution as I need to manually switch networks on my phone and laptop constantly, as I move around the house.

I've read elsewhere that the old style Netgear based Powerline WiFi Extender that Virgin were supplying sometimes has similar issues which could be overcome by disabling the low power 'sleep mode' accessible using a TP-Link Powerline tool. I've tried this but the tool doesn't recognise the new style Virgin extenders.

Are you able to help overcome this problem?

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent slow speed with Powerline WiFi Extender

Hello Johnlloyd45,

Sorry to hear your intermittent speed issue when using the Powerline WiFi extender. I've had a look at your network details and cannot find any issues. Everything is in range and there are no errors that I can see. Can you clarify for me whether the Powerline is one that is wired  or is it for wireless only? Are you able to leave the powerline plugged into your preferred location (usually where the WiFi dead spot is) and wirelessly connect to it on your laptop without using a cable?

I'm just trying to get some clarity on your setup. Also can you confirm that the powerline is one that we've given you or is it a third party one?

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos