Menu
R_clark15
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Wifi

HI,

I have the all singing all dancing super speed broadband, yet my wifi connection is terrible.

I have tried to speak to virgin media on the phone but I only ever get an automated voice, of which the only solution is to 'reset all services' which does not help.

My Computer and Xbox is wired directly from the Hub 3.0 and the speeds are fine, in excess of 200mb, but my wifi connection is terrible.

I have tried on the phone reset, pinhole reset etc yet nothing seems to fix the issue.

I have to keep my phone on Airplane mode in my own house as my 4G connection it picks up is stronger than the wifi. 

If i run a speedtest on my phone, its fine the majority of the time, but it feels like it is dipping in and out of connection all the time, and i have really poor connection issues on basic apps like Zoom and Facetime.

I already have a signal booster downstairs in my house as the upstairs wifi doesn't even reach downstairs, let alone give me a good connection.

I've tried to contact Virgin on many occasions, ideally for a replacement box or at least and engineer to come and take a look at the issue,

Any help on this would be great?!

Thanks

Ryan

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Wifi

if the underlying connection is good (which you’ve tested with your xbox and pc) and you’re happy with it, the answer is to buy some decent wifi gear.

VM don’t guarantee wifi performance - there are too many variables for them to underwrite any sort of performance guarantee over wireless.

buy yourself a decent router or mesh system and your problems are likely to go away. 

0 Kudos
R_clark15
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wolf,

Thanks for responding,

Can i ask what you mean by decent router or mesh system, is the router not what Virgin Media provided to me?

Thanks

Ryan

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@R_clark15 wrote:

Hi Wolf,

Thanks for responding,

Can i ask what you mean by decent router or mesh system, is the router not what Virgin Media provided to me?

Thanks

Ryan

Virgin did provide you with a router (hub), it’s just a poor one. You can configure the vm hub to be just a modem, and then put a decent router or mesh system behind it to handle the WiFi and gateway services (e.g NAT, DNS, DHCP).

check out routers or mesh systems from brands like ASUS, TP-Link, Netgear.

0 Kudos
R_clark15
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Right ok i see what you mean I will have a look at some wifi boosting hardware.

1 question though, you say they have provided me with a poor Hub (from my explanation) is this not their fault for providing me with bad hardware?

Just thinking out loud here, but why should i have to pay extra to fix something that shouldn't need fixing if they had just provided me with a better Hub?

Cheers

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

there isn’t a better one, the hub3 & 4 are both substandard when it comes to delivering good wireless.. 

From a contractual perspective, VM will only guarantee speeds to wired devices - their speed guarantee excludes tests done over wireless and whilst you may get a new hub sent out if wifi has completely failed - i suspect you’ll face an uphill struggle convincing them to send you a different hub for a “poor wireless signal” issue..

and the chances of it actually performing any different/better than the one you have at the moment are slim..

0 Kudos