Menu
LethalB
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Wifi

Hi team,

Raising this because although there are many existing threads on this, it doesn't seem to resolve the issues, so here is the data you need to make your assessment - including setting up the Broadband Quality Monitor (sorry for so many pictures - I'd much prefer to send as one attachment).

Summary of the issue - very regular outages in wifi, as well as reduced speeds (pages lagging, video calls dropping/freezing) - I'm attributing this to the wifi falling in and out because each time if we disconnect and immediately back onto the wifi it seems to work again.  The router is wired correctly and restarting doesn't provide any relief.

LethalB_0-1612283526041.png

LethalB_1-1612283553337.png

LethalB_2-1612283582537.png

LethalB_3-1612283905692.png

28th Jan

LethalB_6-1612284143402.png

29th Jan

LethalB_7-1612284159463.png

30th Jan

LethalB_8-1612284207328.png

31st Jan

LethalB_9-1612284240950.png

1st Feb

LethalB_10-1612284276363.png

2nd Feb

LethalB_11-1612284299749.png

I'm not sure what if any solution there is, but it is becoming a bigger issue as both my wife and I work from home permanently now and need stability - outside of working hours it would be nice too 🙂

I don't recall if there is any additional information that would be helpful, if there is please let me know and I'll share it.  Thanks in advance for helping a desperate soul.

0 Kudos
LethalB
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Wifi

Network Log

LethalB_0-1612345663989.png

Latest BQM - the dropped packages at 6pm is when I reset my router.

LethalB_1-1612345789496.png

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your router stats and BQM all seem healthy, I think it's just a case of a recurring theme of poor wifi from the Virgin hubs yet again. Have you tried a factory reset? Hold in the pinhole at the rear of the router for at least 50 seconds and then release (the lights will flash while holding in the pinhole reset button after about 15 seconds) then allow 5 minutes for the router to reboot and re-sync the connection.

If this doesn't solve the issue you would probably be better of investing in a decent third party router, that way you can put the Virgin Hub into modem mode and let the router deal with all the traffic. This would give you better wi-fi coverage and if you go for the likes of a wi-fi 6 capable router you would get better speeds. There are loads of options from Asus, TP Link etc and seeing as the VM Hubs are well known for their lack of wi-fi capabilities you would be better of using your own equipment, especially if you are suffering from poor wi-fi coverage and speed 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I can't see anything screaming out in your status / logs and the BQM looks pretty clean too.. 

Have you done any testing with a device that is directly connected to the hub with an ethernet cable?

0 Kudos
LethalB
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, the latest BQM which has the redline is when I did the factory reset and it seems to be the same issues - dropping completely for 30 secs here and there, so I think it's as you suggest - more of an issue with hardware.  I was hoping to avoid spending more money but it seems more and more that this is something Virgin customers should expect.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
LethalB
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, the issues aren't replicable when connected via Ethernet, but unfortunately my personal situation means we cannot find a solution for both my wife and I to work in proximity to the router, so I think it'll be a case of investing in some additional tech.

highwalker
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Also clear that the Network Log functionality screens a lot of log issues out - mine doesn't even show when the device is power cycled, or when the WiFi chooses to reset itself, and this data is available in the hub.

0 Kudos