Menu
RossBairn
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Broadband

Hi, I’ve been with Virgin Broadband for a few months now, but have been experiencing intermittent broadband speeds/connection. I’m finding this issue both from wired and wifi. We have the 200mbps package, and can get these speeds, but have seen us struggle to get a connection or down to 1-2mbps at times! 

I was using the chat function within the old app to contact Virgin technical assistance, and have tried all the standard options, reboot, reset, and last contact they tweaked some settings, but nothing has resolved the issue!! They have now removed the chat function, and waited ages on phone to try and get assistance, when I’ve ran out of time. 

I bought the Devolo Magic 2 Wifi next to see if this helped, as 2 of us working from home, and 2 home schooling, but this hasn’t resolved the drop in speeds. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I have ran the broadband quality monitor as suggested in a few threads, but not sure what this is telling me. Link below

My BQM 

Thanks for any help

Ross

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Broadband

The Devolo powerline adapter are limited to 100mbps so ideally you will only get about 80mb through these. Also your BQM shows some over utilisation at peak times, although not as severe as some I've seen.

What speed do you get on https://speedtest.samknows.com/ with direct wired connection from PC/Laptop to router using a Cat 5e cable or better with a 1Gbps capable Ethernet network card?

1. Make sure the cable is Cat 5e or better
  2. Make sure your PC/laptop has a 1Gbps or better network card
  3. Make sure Hub is in router mode
  4. Disconnect all other Ethernet cables when running the test
***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
RossBairn
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for your reply. 

Connected directly to the router I was getting 220mbps in line with virgin package. A virgin engineer has been out since my post, and replaced the hub 3 router, but this didn’t make any difference to the intermittent issues. 

I have now installed the Netgear Nighthawk mesh system, and now getting strong and consistent wifi throughout the house. Fingers crossed this has resolved the issues.

Thanks

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@RossBairn wrote:

Hi, thanks for your reply. 

Connected directly to the router I was getting 220mbps in line with virgin package. A virgin engineer has been out since my post, and replaced the hub 3 router, but this didn’t make any difference to the intermittent issues. 

I have now installed the Netgear Nighthawk mesh system, and now getting strong and consistent wifi throughout the house. Fingers crossed this has resolved the issues.

Thanks

Good stuff mate, a third party router is always the better option when it comes to wireless issues. Glad you got sorted 🙂

Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos