cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermitent speed test

RMDLF
Just joined

Hello

I have recently switched from Vodaphone to Virginmedia and contracted a service of 200 Mbps (100 Mbps guaranteed, aparently). So far it´s been very frustrating as I´m payin more and I´m experiencing a worst service.

The main issue is that the broaband speed is intermitent, and it somtimes drops to a point that calls and videocalls get cut, and it´s impossible to have a conversation.

I have run all the tests and do all the online support suggested by virginmedia, but nothing has worked. Does anybody know how to solve this issue?

Many thanks

Raul

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are the speed issues and dropouts only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

Can you do this so we can see what speeds you are receiving

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”

(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).

This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi RMDLF, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

The speeds you get at home will, of course, depend on a variety of factors, it depends on your package, what and how many devices you have, how they are connected amongst other things.

Looking at your account, the Hub stats are all looking good and there is no fault in your area. I can see all your devices are connected via WiFi currently. 

As mentioned by jbrennand above, please try running the speed test using a cat 6 ethernet cable direct from the Hub to your PC/Laptop. Make sure the network adapter is a 1GB too. Post back here with a screenshot of your results so we can help further. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs