cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instructing devices onto specific pods

Longwall
Joining in

I have three pods. I would like to instruct the devices closest to each pod to access WiFi via the pod closest to them. For example, a device which is close to my pod in the kitchen still accesses WiFi via the hub, which is far away and weak. How do I get it to access WiFi via the pod closest to it with the strongest signal?

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I don't think the VM Pods have any management software within the Connect app.  It's supposed to be managed by the "Intelligent Wifi Software" in the system.

If you want this granular control over Access Points (Pods) then you may have to invest in your own kit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Wifi is magic and should do what you say.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sihill84
Tuning in

Following for the same reasons as the OP

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Whether the device ‘roams’ between WiFi access points (pods) is mostly due the operating system of the device, it’s one of the 802.11 specifications. That said some WAPs and routers have the facility to ‘lock’ the device to a particular unit. Unfortunately the VM pods have no parameters that the users change tailor for their own use. I believe VM have done this ‘one fits all’ scenario in the misguided belief that less support would be needed.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

For example, a device which is close to my pod in the kitchen still accesses WiFi via the hub, which is far away and weak. 

That's not surprising. The Pod in the kitchen is receiving the same weak signal from the router as the device next to it. It can't magically produce a better signal, so the device stays with the router.

You need to move the Pod to where it gets a stronger signal from the router, which it can then pass on into the kitchen and the devices there. Ideally Pods should be half way between the router and the weak signal area. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

One thing most people seem to miss is that pods should not be in the same location as the target machine. They should be mid way between the hub and the target machine, never in the same location.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

So next to the hub should work😁

---------------------------------------------------------------