Evening everyone! So I’ve had terrible wifi for a long long time. I purchased a mesh system. Now I’ve got them all set up but the signal is still very poor in my daughter room. I’ve read most people saying to turn my hub 3 into modem mode! I am not tech savvy at all, and I have a coax cable going from hub 3 to my v6 box. How would that all work if I do indeed change it to modem mode!
Any explanation on exactly how to do it would be amazing!! Like I said everywhere is great except my daughters room and I bought the mesh for that very reason. Please help!!
The first mesh unit should be connected to the VM hub by an Ethernet cable and you will need the instructions for the mesh system. Here is how to set up modem mode.
How to put a VM hub into modem mode:
1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green, on a Hub5 the LED will be green. Best done from a wired connection.
2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables
3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)
4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money. On a Hub5 use port 4.
5) Turn on the VM hub.
6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1
Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or when VM changes your WAN IP address.
Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1
Thank you very much! The only thing that’s stopping me is I don’t know if when I turn it into modem mode will all the features on the v6 box still work i.e. Netflix prime etc?
as I said I’m not tech savvy and don’t want to change it and not be able to use these features!
just for reference the mesh I bought is the MERCUSYS halo H5OG!
Getting great speeds apart from that one room!
Thanks for taking the time to reply!
Hey there @Tinamc03 thanks for the reply on the forums.
If you were to have you hub in modem mode, you will be able to still use Netflix and Amazon prime etc.
You will need a wired connention to the device however.
Let us know how you get along if you do it 🙂
New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs
"You will need a wired connention to the device however." Not True. You can use the WiFi off of the mesh system, although it is of course preferable to use an `Ethernet cable connected to the mesh system.