Menu
alistairbk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Installed today and only getting 50MB, should be 200!

Hey, any thoughts or resolutions please? Thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installed today and only getting 50MB, should be 200!

How are you testing speeds?

Is the device capable of getting 200mbps? A phone on wifi on the 2.4 GHz band will max out at around that.  See mine below - I am on the 200 package with an iPhone7  - first one is on 2.4 `and the second when I switch to the 5GHz

Test speeds first on an ethernet cable connected laptop or computer.

2.4 GHz

IMG_1825.jpeg

5GHz

IMG_1826.jpeg

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
alistairbk
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you John, that makes sense. On my phone I get approx 54MB. I tried my laptop over wi-fi and got 205MB so I guess it is ok then?

Alistair

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If the phone is capable of 5GHz connectivity (most recent ones are) it would be better if you "forced" it onto the 5GHz band when possible. I have the two "separated" so I can do that on my router.

I take it you have the Hub3 (?) if so you could try doing the procedure below and see if it helps. If not you should consider doing what I and many others on here do and put the Hub into modem only mode and get your own router and better quality an d more versatile, wireless equipment.

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - alistair_2 & alistair_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
alistairbk
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

Thank you so much for your detailed help and support. It is very much appreciated.

Alistair

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alistair, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that your install hasn't gone to plan and that you are having slow speeds. 

Taking a look at the account, I can see that you have already spoken to the team and they have arranged an engineer visit for you. 

Please keep us posted with how the visit goes. 

Take care,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos