Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Installed finally but speed completely random

After weeks I was over the moon in finally getting my 350mbps internet installed. But it's virtually unfit for purpose. The speeds are never 350. They keep moving around drastically from 10 to 240 but never consistent. Which means that when I'm on ZOOM calls the connection drops, it can never maintain a proper consistent throughput of data.

Should I be receiving at least 300mbps?? What can I do? Am I being totally unrealistic to think that the Virgin of years ago is gone (it was never able to offer the speed advertised) and that I should be getting 300-350???? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installed finally but speed completely random

You should get at least 50% of your download speed hard wired to the hub
I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

When properly set up, and not over-subscribed, VM offer stable speeds usually at or above the expected and contracted speed. 

If your new connection isn't properly setup in terms of noise or power levels then that's (relatively) easily fixed by a technician.  If the problem is that your local network is over-subscribed then chances of it being fixed any time soon are poor, and your best option may (regrettably) be to either leave if you're still in your 14 day cancellation window, if you're outside it then you should invoke VM minimum speed policy and request cancellation.

But before doing anything drastic follow these steps to try and establish what the underlying problem is.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@jb888 wrote:

After weeks I was over the moon in finally getting my 350mbps internet installed. But it's virtually unfit for purpose. The speeds are never 350. They keep moving around drastically from 10 to 240 but never consistent. Which means that when I'm on ZOOM calls the connection drops, it can never maintain a proper consistent throughput of data.

Should I be receiving at least 300mbps?? What can I do? Am I being totally unrealistic to think that the Virgin of years ago is gone (it was never able to offer the speed advertised) and that I should be getting 300-350???? 

Are you speedtesting over a wired or wireless connection?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Entire service wired or Wi-Fi has been abysmal. And now today completely down. Virgin has always over promised with high speeds but unacceptable downtime. I’m now reminded of why I left years ago. 

I have no service at all. Was unable to work today and no idea if I can work from home tomorrow as my number of tests was maxed out on the line and I cannot get through to an engineer.  

Disappointed is an understatement!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @jb888

Thanks for popping back - I am sorry that you have been impacted by some issues since rejoining our family. 

I have located your account from your forum information and can see that you were impacted by a known area issue this week. This was raised under reference number F008209546 on 8th July and was closed as resolved on 10th July. The technician that was booked, was cancelled due to this area issue. Contact was attempted via the contact numbers we have listed on the account. 

Taking a look at your systems today everything is looking as it should - there are no known area issues at the time of writing, no errors showing and all the signal levels are where we would expect them to be for your package. It's been around 48 hours since your hub was last rebooted. 

Are you still experiencing issues since the area outage was resolved? If so, please do pop back and we can go through further diagnostics with you if needed. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

How can I cancel my service? I've only been with Virgin Media for a few weeks. After extremely poor signal (WIFI) I tested at the router which was fine, I was getting 330mbps. But after troubleshooting for a week I found the following.

- I bought a Nest Mesh system and used the HUB3 as a modem. I got good speeds throughout my two bedroom flat

- However the Nest Mesh was £249 which seemed excessive so I returned it

- I then tested with a NetGear WIFI router. Again, the WIFI speeds were fine.

- I troubleshooted the HUB3 router over 20 times but it is simply not fit for purpose. It cannot get the WIFI speed to anything respectable, often sticking at around 65mbps and the latency is awful

Please can someone help? I spent 2 hours trying to call customer services tonight but the phone then just went dead!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

However the Nest Mesh was £249 which seemed excessive so I returned it

You spent HOW MUCH on a system designed primarily to send your data back to Google?  What were you thinking? 

Anyway, next best option.  Buy yourself a Tenda Nova MW3.  Basic, simple, but usually effective.  I've gone (very, very slightly) uprange with a TP-Link Deco M4 which is excellent. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

We need to see stats and logs before discussing a mesh system or router.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@jb888 wrote:

How can I cancel my service? I've only been with Virgin Media for a few weeks. After extremely poor signal (WIFI) I tested at the router which was fine, I was getting 330mbps. But after troubleshooting for a week I found the following.

- I bought a Nest Mesh system and used the HUB3 as a modem. I got good speeds throughout my two bedroom flat

- However the Nest Mesh was £249 which seemed excessive so I returned it

- I then tested with a NetGear WIFI router. Again, the WIFI speeds were fine.

- I troubleshooted the HUB3 router over 20 times but it is simply not fit for purpose. It cannot get the WIFI speed to anything respectable, often sticking at around 65mbps and the latency is awful

Please can someone help? I spent 2 hours trying to call customer services tonight but the phone then just went dead!!

You want to cancel because the router provided doesn't work in your home?

I can eaisly get 150 - 200 Mbps, even upstairs, using the HUB 3.

Have you tried splitting the SSID into two names, one for 2G, and one for 5G?

You can't cater for all scenarios when it comes to wireless, which is why third part routers exist!

0 Kudos