cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incredibly slow speeds - 200mb line/Hub 3

iellognar
Joining in

Hi all 

Thought i'd post here to see if anyone might be able to help with a bit more detail provided. Im on the 200mb package with Virgin, which has been up to scratch until recently...

Since moving our Hub3 slightly higher to a bookshelf (which i thought would only improve things), maybe less than 50cm away from its original placement, speeds seemed to have dropped completely for the last few days, barely scraping at 20mb in the next room over. I've gone about splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands to different networks to try and get something passable (I work from home and it's really starting to make calls difficult.)

If i'm nearby the hub i'm still getting 200ish on my mobile but both desktop/mobile speeds plummet where before they were steady one room over (I still don't get much reception in a room not more than 8metres away but that's another issue).

When the line was re-installed in March, the engineer commented that the wiring itself under the property(?) wasn't in the best condition. I"m wondering if the cable attached to the hub itself, now at an angle is affecting things - that said, i'd really hope its not that fragile/temperamental!

Any thoughts/assistance appreciated - i've tried the normal route of resets etc but nothing seems to work.

14 REPLIES 14

iellognar
Joining in
I'm unable to post my hub details as both Safari/Chrome repeatedly state that there are spelling errors 😡

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What happens when you put the Hub3 back to the previous location where it was working ok?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the reply John - moving the hub back out of the shelf and in a fairly awkward position in the hallway gets the 5ghz up to 100 or so mb, but no effect on the 2.4ghz - ideally wouldn't exactly want the hub dictating where its put to be honest, can only imagine its the cable not being curved which in my mind really shouldn't make this much difference 🤷‍♂️

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You cou;d put the Hub anywhere (in a cupboard?) and connect one or more wireless accesss points to it on ethernet cables and site them where convenient.

Or, if running cables is an issue just get a good introductory Mesh system.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @iellognar

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thanks for making your first post regarding the placement of your Hub and the speeds you are receiving on 2.4Ghz. I've taken a look on our systems and your 2.4Ghz is experiencing a capacity issue. Please can you reboot your Hub for me and let me know how things are working for you following this?

Kind regards,

Serena

Thanks Serena - unfortunately seems to be worse after a restart on the hub - speed tests for comparison... 2.4ghz vs 5ghz. Still feel like there's something wrong at the hardware/connection level as this is now in the same place it was previously.

Screenshot 2022-05-19 at 13.45.51.pngScreenshot 2022-05-19 at 13.48.07.png

Hi @iellognar,

Thank you for that. I've just checked our systems and I'm unable to detect any faults on the line currently. Is this issue ongoing for you today?

If it is, are you able to run a speed test and confirm your results from a wired connection too? This is just so that we can confirm if this is exclusively a wireless/Wi-Fi issue or not, which in turn will help us to narrow down the best course of action for a resolution.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi there Zach,

Unfortunately none of my devices (laptop, ipad, phones) have an ethernet port so would need to purchase an adapter for a once off test, which ideally i'd prefer not to. How do I got about booking an engineer as the speeds have continued to drop even on the 5G band..this has gone on for two weeks now without being able to speak to an agent over the phone (waited 3hrs on the phone without an answer).

@Zach_R @Serena_C