Menu
courr
Just browsing
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Inconsistent wifi

I live in a student house and we pay for the best Internet package. We have the Virgin Hub 3 but we experience many issues with it.

My room is far away from the router so I have an extender, and when the wifi plays up the extender says No Internet Access. The extender works fine when the wifi is having a good day, but when the wifi is being slow I get no internet in my room and have to rely on data (which gets expensive). 

The wifi we get seems to be very inconsistent. Some days it works fine, even in my room. But other days it's extremely slow and nothing loads. Multiple house mates have experienced this issue, even when being right next to the router. I use an ethernet cable for my laptop and that also experiences slow internet at times. 

We have tried resetting the router a number of times but it doesn't fix the issue. I'm not sure what speed we're supposed to be getting but we definitely aren't getting a good enough speed. I can't even run speed tests because it just doesn't connect. We have had someone come look at the router a few months ago and they said there was nothing wrong, but there's clearly something going on. 

I am very frustrated since we pay a lot of money for internet that hardly works. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Inconsistent wifi

It's probably a broadband fault, nothing to do with wifi (that;s ONLY the wireless connection between the hub and wireless devices).  If you keep on talking about "wifi not working" then people will assume that you mean that, and you'll get advice that will be well meant, but may not help.

Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as text, not screen shots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.

Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Inconsistent wifi

Hi @courr

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making your first post regarding the internet issues you are experiencing. Sorry to hear that your connection is inconsistent and your speeds drop.

Do you have an ethernet cable? Are you able to connect a device via ethernet cable and see how that works? This will enable us to decipher if the issue lies with your broadband or with your WiFi.

May I ask which WiFi extender you are using?

Please can you share a BQM graph in this topic, you can do this by clicking here.

Thanks,

Serena

0 Kudos