Menu
1houronhold
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Inconsistent slow internet - definitely not 350mbs

So I have the Virgin Media 350mbs internet - in reality it ranges from 1-30mbs. For about 30 seconds each day I might be lucky to get 350mbs before it drops to 1-10mbs - it is absolutely terrible and unusable for even basic home working. There is no way of complaining, I have been on hold for most of the afternoon, no one answers customer service. The website is unhelpful - redirects you to every possible way of making it seem like you have set up your hub wrong - I have followed every step, my internet is still terrible. 

Virgin Customer service has been shameful. Seems like you may as well pay for the slowest internet because that is what you will get. 

Any advice on how to resolve this issue from Virgin (rather than them delegating their customer service to the kind unpaid community) would be helpful.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Inconsistent slow internet - definitely not 350mbs

How are you measuring the speed? Only ethernet connected speeds are guaranteed. 

0 Kudos
1houronhold
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply and the information.

Running a speed test on WiFi and connected via cable to the router - unfortunately I now have no Internet at all.

I did eventually get through to customer service after an hour on hold - the person I spoke to was very friendly and did everything in their power to help, unfortunately we were unable to resolve the issue remotely however.

My original post was unhelpfully negative apologies, its no reflection of the customer service reps who are doing all they can, just how difficult it is access assistance due to the way Virgin Media seem to lead you through various different gate keeping pages.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You are not wrong to complain about the customer contact system. It's appalling!

0 Kudos
1houronhold
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Update: (green wifi light, flashing green internet light, green baselight) - get an engineer!

Just to close this off in case it is helpful if anyone is having the same problem.

If you have the hub 3 and see the following: Solid green wifi light, flashing green internet light (the two arrows in the middle), Solid green baselight (and therefore have no internet) you should insist on an engineer visit. The issue was further down the street in the connection box where the cable going to our house was faulty. The engineer was excellent and fixed the problem in about 30 minutes. As per other's comments, the hub 3 itself is still pretty poor and you should probably get some boosters if you arn't right next to it. 

If you see the same lights as I did, book an engineer as no amount of resetting, turning on and off, checking the connections to your hub etc will fix it (despite the website's best attempt to stop you from calling). Unfortunately I wasted a week or so with no internet trying to go through the customer support system and should have been more insistent about requesting the engineer - I had to call 3 different times and was on hold for hours in total. The first time I called they said wait and see if it fixes itself and that they cant send an engineer, the second time I called I was told a virtual tech would call me back (they never bothered). The final time I called to cancel my service and they immediately sent an engineer. 

Hope this helps anyone who has the same issue as I do - one thing I will say, be kind to the customer service when you eventually reach them! - it isn't their fault that virgin are too greedy to invest properly in customer service. Virgin have consciously made the decision to leave a small number of staff to take the brunt of everyone's frustrations just so a few greedy execs can line their pockets even more. 

0 Kudos