Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Inconsistent performance overall, wifi no longer works upstairs

For at least the last 3 weeks, wifi suddenly won't work upstairs in the house at almost any time. Once I bring devices downstairs to where the Hub 3.0 router is, the signal picks back up again. We've lived in the house since March and wifi was probably a bit slower upstairs but now, most of the time, it doesn't work at all. 

We recently got some Amazon devices that are now upstairs if that's known to affect things? We have 3 Dots and a Show upstairs, and one more Dot downstairs. When everyone's out of the house, I have tried completely unplugging the Dots and Show upstairs, but the wifi trouble persists. 

We only have 12 connected devices and I'm in Ivybridge. 

For inconsistent performance, this morning, I was the only one awake and couldn't get streaming video to work. Once I reset the router, it worked again, but I'm finding I have to reset the router several times a week lately. 

I tried running the network diagnostic this morning on the Router Admin and was told there were Wifi issues one time, and then the next time I ran it was told I had broadband issues, but no further information on what to do! 

Any advice greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Inconsistent performance overall, wifi no longer works upstairs

Think of Wi-Fi as mains water coming into your house and the fire brigade connect 10 hoses to the local water mains.

If they don't squirt water you can have a decent shower, if they start squirting the shower flow decreases, add a few more fire engines squirting water and your shower reduces to a dribble and the flow from each fire hose goes down as well.

Just a few things that can also affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), flooring / ceilings, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos