Menu
Calum1994
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Inconsistent Speeds

Hey there, 

As of late, I have experienced a drastic change in inability to connect and maintain a connection to the internet. 
Whenever I've had problems, I've just turned the HUB 3 on and off, which has mostly solved the issue - I understand disconnection occur every now and then. 
But recently I've been fighting for a lost cause. 
I have followed all the "guide" and help sections related to my issue, and non of which has helped. 

Sometimes my connection can 'hold' itself together for some light web browsing, and other times I simply can't connect to the internet. I checked "Account Status" on the 23rd, in which it did say there was an issue - which is fair enough - However, this was after the previous problems began to arise.

As of the 25th there are no known issues - as yet my issues persist. 

I have a package of M350, which should give me an average of 362mbps - I understand it's a general average, and something I shouldn't expect. 
The best I've managed recently is 1.60mbps, and the slowest is 0.4mbps. 
When I reset & restart, I lose connection altogether. Even though my HUB 3 is all green. 
My devices are connection via Wi-fi and wired, all of which response the same, being unable to connect or with severely slow rate. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Inconsistent Speeds

What are the Hub lights showing/doing when your dropouts occur ?

Also, have you checked first for “known network faults” ?

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

Worth doing a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

Finally you might try a pinhole reset - make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time.

See if that helps in anyway

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Inconsistent Speeds

Hello Calum1994

How are things looking now 

Did you manage to try the Pinhole reset like @jbrennand advised 

I have checked the area and we have no local issues 

If it still persists, can you please let me know so I can arrange for an engineer to come out 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos