cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistent Broadband Speed

Teddy_hj
Settling in

Hi,

I've recently upgraded to a hub 4 which I thought would solve this issue but it has not, my Speed is dramatically slower on my PC than it is on all my other devices, I have ran a speed test on my PC and my phone when they are right next to each other.

Phone: 450+ Mb/s

PC: 50 Mb/s

I'm currently using a wifi range extender connected to my PC as it is quite far away from the Router.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Alas - I have no recommendations - @Jbrennand uses them but even so; I don't think they are fast!

I'd be looking at a decent MESH (TP-Link - DECO) system if you want speed and coverage!

It's the old triangle: Speed | Coverage | Price - Choose 2 at the expense of the 3rd!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

lotharmat
Community elder
What speed do you get to the PC if you use an ethernet cable? WiFi range extenders can be a whole lot slower!

I cannot hook up the PC to the Router directly, it would require me to move the whole PC setup. However, I hooked up a laptop recently and the speeds were 400mb/s +. Does this mean an issue with the Wifi range extender?

It would indicate that - definitely!

If WiFi is bad - I'd recommend putting the hub in modem mode and getting your own router.

The hubs are decent enough modems but godawful routers!

Ok thanks for the help!

Do you have any recommendations on Range extenders?, the one I use currently is rather old 

Alas - I have no recommendations - @Jbrennand uses them but even so; I don't think they are fast!

I'd be looking at a decent MESH (TP-Link - DECO) system if you want speed and coverage!

It's the old triangle: Speed | Coverage | Price - Choose 2 at the expense of the 3rd!

Ok I will take a look, thanks again!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As Iotharmat says I do indeed use them - but these are Apple Airport Extremes.

I also use powerline adapters for my son to get good ethernet cable connectivity to his PC and gaming consoles in his upstairs room as he thinks wifi is the work of Satan and should never be used for gaming. Ethernet cabling your devices is always the best way to go, but running cable to his room was problematic. So he uses a pair of Solwise AC1200 powerline adapters. But look at the TP-Link range - good price at the "A'" store .

His PC/Xbox/PS3 can now all be "wired" - with short Cat6 cables – back to the wireless router downstairs and he gets a solid 60-70Mbps on our V200 package - he hasn't complained once in years!

So there will be speed attenuation but it really shouldnt matter as the most heavy gaming/normal streaming will never use more than a few mbps. Even Netflix 4K streams only need ~25mbps

Worth considering whether that will work for your house on your mains circuits, the two circuits must go through the same consumer unit/fuse box (most do) and be free of any "noise". You can also add a wifi access point alongside to boost that up there as well. Some PA's also come with built in wifi - but then the price starts creeping up towards the Mesh £ range.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

does it cost anything to get an engineer to connect the ethernet cable to something upstairs from the router of will they do that for free due to my right to what virgin promised for speeds

@thesam wrote:

does it cost anything to get an engineer to connect the ethernet cable to something upstairs from the router of will they do that for free due to my right to what virgin promised for speeds

VM engineers won't touch ethernet cables.

'Promised' speeds are via a wired connection, unless you are referring to the 20Mbps 'guarantee' over WiFi.