Menu
ams_sxi
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Im on M350 and booster only getting 70MB

Is there a way to increase this or are the boosters limited?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Im on M350 and booster only getting 70MB

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The VM boosters are actually powerline adapters and are affected by the condition of your mains wiring and interference, you are more than likely not going to get much faster.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you want to take full advantage of your 350 connection using wifi, then you probably need to invest about £100 in some better wifi kit.  The recommendation varies depending on property type, usage, and what you use the connection for. 

But before going down that route, what speed do you get over wifi about six feet from the hub?  There's no point in spending money on new kit if your devices or your cable connection are constrained.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ams_sxi
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

With a direct connection to the hub 3 I am getting 350-390mbps. 

On wifi to the hub 

2.4ghz - 340 mbps

5ghz - 381 mbps

0 Kudos
ams_sxi
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My mains wiring is pretty good, I was getting over 200mbps on previous powerline with BT
0 Kudos
ams_sxi
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yep thinking I may need mesh WIFI kit but heard that some keep connection to the main WIFI node even though there is a node that you are closer to. i.e. doesn't always connect to the closest node and there is no way of forcing that.

Which is why i have powerline boosters so i can manually connect devices closest to the powerline so they will always have the strongest signal. Hope that makes sense
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@ams_sxi wrote:
My mains wiring is pretty good, I was getting over 200mbps on previous powerline with BT

Power Line Boosters are only as good as the...

Hub connection speed,

Electrical Ring they are on,

Booster speed & quality,

Interference or blockages in the environment.

Basically Wi-Fi as a connection is crap and nowhere near as good as ethernet cable connections.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I use two Asus Wifi 6 routers set up with their AiMesh system (Main router RT-AX82U with Hub 4 in modem mode and an RT-AX56U set as a node). You can set the main routers RSI under "Roaming assistant" so that devices disconnect after a certain distance and reconnects to the other node. The default RSI on mine is -70dBm so I set it to -55dBm and works like a charm. As soon as I walk out of the the room and down the hall and get close to the other router it auto connect straight away. I'm on the 1 gigabyte connection and seeing 700-800mb download and 52mb upload on my iPhone 11 Pro Max no matter were I go in the house and 500-600mb download and 52mb upload on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite connected to 5Ghz. So glad I went with this set up, maybe worth looking into but not cheap but for constant speed I didn't mine paying for it, no more glitches with Facetime and Zoom and good all round solid connections.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
ams_sxi
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks this looks like something I need to do. Are the 2 routers designed for use as a mesh network?

I am currently using the hub 3 and have another router connected in another room via cat 6 and using this router in access point mode which has improved a little.

But think i may need to invest in a mesh network like yours although I cannot afford the routers you suggested 😞
0 Kudos