cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im not getting the right speeds

DCH12
Joining in

Me and my family paid for a contract that i believe gives us speed of 500mpbs and instead were getting 41 which is a real let down as a lot of my family member's are unable to use the wifi correctly and im unable to do my work I do hope this is fixed soon as this issue has been happening for a while.

Screenshot (1578).jpg

3 REPLIES 3

BillBudd
Superfast

Have you tried Real Speed, VM use this to get speed stats and are more likely to take action based on these stats.

Just a thought.

Bill

I do not work for VM. Services: 2 x HD TV (+ Sky Sports, BT sport), x2 Tivo boxes (WiFi) Hub5 1gb, Talk Weekend Phone on IP, o2 Mobile SIM on iPhone, unlimited data, texts & minutes.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try a Hub reset as below and then speedtest as below

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords will reset to those on the sticker. See if that sorts it.

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @DCH12,

Welcome, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues with your speeds.

Can you please tell me how it is for you today? Have you used the advice given above also?

If you are still having issues please do let us know, then we will see how to help you moving forward.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide