Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I would just like to pay for what I receive - 5-20mbps on a 200mbps connection

Title says it all. Virgin cannot fix my issue,. It has been going on for over a year, never get 200 mbps for more than a couple of weeks then:

phone support (40 min wait on phone) /engineer /fixed for a bit/ drops to 5-10mbps   and round we go.

All I want is to pay for what I get. This seems impossible - Virgin are quite happy to talk about contracts but as it seems thay are the one in breach of contract. They seem to be unable to fix my problem but are quite happy to accept my £50 pm.   Not really sure where to go from here...

Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: I would just like to pay for what I receive - 5-20mbps on a 200mbps connection

Which Hub do you have ?

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: I would just like to pay for what I receive - 5-20mbps on a 200mbps connection

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I have a Hub 2.0. I always use speed test.net on a wired CAT5E connection. Modem mode or not I never get above 20 Mbps now on my desktop PC - usually 5-10mbps. Upload speeds are about 20Mbps constantly.

I have, in the past, managed 200mbps on the exact same system but only for a few weeks at a time then it drops right back to 40x less than what I pay for. I feel Virgin have run out of ideas - hence my desire to just pay for the low speed until my contract runs out  - however even this seems impossible.

Any ideas?

Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand is the man to talk to regarding the Hub 2. Hopefully, he will be along soon.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

OK fingers crossed he will be able to help...it's my second Hub 2 by the way (replaced one - made no difference).

Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi just got here. I too have an SH2 (always in modem mode) with my own wifi router (Apple Extreme) and have no problems at all. If you have had 2 Hubs its unlikely that that's the problem (but possible of course).

First thing I would do is change the ethernet cable to a known good one (a new solid core Cat6 one perhaps). Old cables do fail (I have had several do so) and limit speeds and check in the PC settings that your PC NIC card is set to 1GB and has not dropped to 10/100. Also that all its drivers are up to date.

Are you actually in modem mode with your own router or did you just test in that way? Did you also boot into safe+networking mode and try it that way too? Lots of "software" things " limit speeds (I have a list of >30 if you would like to see them!) so try that.

Posting up here the Hub stats and logs would be useful to see too - - but do it after switching the Hub off and unplugging it for 5 minutes and letting it settle for 5 minutes afterwards.

Finally if you want to change to a Hub3, You could try the "free" SH1/2/2ac upgrade/replacement scheme - see the link below - as they are trying to get everyone onto Hub3's (may be a delivery charge).
It works first time for about 50% of customers, but if you get the - "Ooops - please call" message, then come back here for more assistance before calling.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Thanks very much for the reply. I'm pretty sure it's not software as the slow speeds are on both wireless devices and my wired connection.

I'll post a couple of logs - before/after reboot. I am no expert but I suspect these readings don't look too good? Problem is that an engineer may "fix" the problem for a couple of weeks but then the issue will just reappear and I will be back down from 200mbps to 5-10mbps although paying the same money.

Do these look dodgy to you?? Happy to post any other info if that would help.

before:

MG__0-1605207793521.png

after:

MG__1-1605207843369.png

cheers,

Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Your image is not legible.

Can you copy and paste the Hub data onto here please.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

1.png

2.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hope that is a bit better...

0 Kudos