cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I really need some help

Adrian_123
Joining in

I'll start off from the beginning.

I was using the hub3 in modem mode to pass the connection to a Nighthawk xr500 (great hub and has ddos protection which is why I got it in the first place), it was connected with cat5e cables.

So I was on the 500mb download speed (think it was 35mb upload but all speeds were fine) but when my contract ended I did notice some fluctuations with my download/upload speeds were worse but I thought that was just because I wasn't in a contract, anyway I've now got the 1gb contract and the hub4.

So using the hub4 in modem mode passed to my xr500 I'm getting about 520mb down / 25mb up if it doesn't fluctuate but if it does I get lower download/upload and that's the same across every port on the hub4 but if I hook the pc directly the the hub4 (still in modem mode), port 1 will not give out any more than 90mb download but about 50mb upload (tested with 3 different cables but really don't understand how that speed increases when connected to the xr500 though) while port 2 / 3 / 4 are a lot better for download speeds I found port 3 to be the most stable.

(Hub4) When it fluctuates the download speeds seem to bottom out when testing download speeds (starts around 600mb and drops to like 300mb), or it'll start at around 50mb and finishing around 400mb but in all the upload tests is mostly stays about 50mb. I'm basing port 3 as been the most stable as that's partly due to it been the only port that gave out about 900mb download just once but seems to be more stable at holding the speeds than port 2 / 4, if it doesn't fluctuate port 2 / 3 / 4 are around 700mb - 800mb.

Is it the cat5e cables limiting my speeds? Or is it a mix of the hub4 and the cat5e cables and replace both or do I need to redo the settings for the xr500?

6 REPLIES 6

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Yes its a odd one might be best to get new cables
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004WCQBRI/?coliid=I1M1DTFS3CG3KX&colid=1BZ90MP5AMKFF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_l...

What NIC do you have on the PC? when you link it up to the hub in windows whats the link speed show?

Try updating NIC drivers 

---------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for the reply.

So last night I did a hard reset of the xr500 which also reset the download/upload speeds as it runs a speedtest check on setup (I saw another post about disabling the qos? It just gives you control of what signal gets the best connection, wouldn't of been a problem but I still disabled it anyway for testing), so now the internet speeds aren't a problem when passed from the hub 4 to the xr500 so that's fixed.

I did do a hard reset the hub 4 too as I did some testing using samknows last night and find some fluctuations which I knew are happening, so it shows you the speed going to the hub 4 and the speed from the hub 4 to your pc and sometimes the hub 4 doesn't receive like the full 1100mb download speed (If I figure out how I'll upload the two pictures), on a plus note port 1 did manage 150mb download but is still poor performance compared to the other ports (no Idea why Virgin tells you to use that port, my best guess is port 1 has a speed of 10/100mb and the others are 10/100/1000mb or maybe it's just a faulty port? I would of thought all ports are 10/100/1000mb but I'm not really bothered as I can use the other ports).

During typing this I did do a speedtest and the first test was fine, about 800mb down and about 50mb up, second test failed, the third gave me 321mb down and 43mb up which the needle was bouncing all over the place and the forth test was fine with 936mb down and 44mb up 

Screenshot (2)-min.png

Screenshot (1)-min.png

Screenshot (1)-min.pngIgnore this as it's the same image as the last one but can't delete this post

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Adrian_123,

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making this post regarding the speed issues you are experiencing with your Hub 4. I would like to take a further look and run some diagnostics on your Hub. I shall send you a private message now to obtain the details required. Please look out for the purple envelope and get back to me when you can!

Kind regards,

Serena