cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have 1GB so what does VOLT offer me

Needforspeed99
Tuning in

I have not long upgraded to 1GB broadband and now VOLT has been released. If all other customers are getting a BroadBand upgrade what do 1GB customers get?

We should get a discount as already paying good money that others will now get for free.

11 REPLIES 11

Needforspeed99
Tuning in

To top it all off I only receive just over 500MB download anyway.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is that speed on wifi or on ethernet cable connection? If wifi - that is what you will max out at on a Hub4 (it is wifi5 not wifi6). 960ish only on ethernet connections

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John

Its via Ethernet, I appreciate the WiFi restrictions with WiFi5.

It’s also I very sporadic although upload in the main is stable

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Needforspeed99 

You would need an O2 sim as well as your Gig1 broadband to receive any VOLT benefits.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-o2-benefits 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks newapolo

I already have five devices on O2 and have received the data increase but it was more the fact that I can’t upgrade any further from the broadband speed I already have.

just frustrating as not long upgraded to 1GB at extra cost and not getting the advertised speeds.

Hi Needforspeed99,

Thanks for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, we are sorry to hear you aren't happy as you won't get a Broadband uplift due to already being on our 1GB connection.

In regards to not receiving your expected speeds, what devices are you using, is it wired or WIFI, what speed are you getting Via Sam Knows?

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul

I’m running a mixture of devices from iPhones iPads, windows pc’s wired and wireless and X-Box wired.

Sam Knows is giving me when wired a maximum upload of 530mb and download of a maximum of 52mb this does vary and can be as low as 420mb/28mb even with only one wired device connected.

It’s a busy house and I expect the wireless devices to be slower as they are of varying age and no WiFi 6 on router but disappointed on the wired devices which one is a new laptop.

I have done all the usual checks to ensure connections are secure, no damage internally to coax and reset router many times.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Did you upgrade from 500? Has it actually been applied on the Hub? Look at "maximum data transfer rate" in the Downstream part of the Hub settings - number in bytes will be 1xxxxxxxxxxx if it has and 5xxxxxxxx if it hasnt.

Also in the Hub settings - do you have an active DOCSIS 3.1 downstream channel?

Finally, whilst waiting can you try the speedtest like this - as it should show the true speed.

Connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”

(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).

This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software on it - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As you're on Gig1 and have a Hub 4, I'd also suggest if possible running the Real Speed test for Sam Knows while in router mode - https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

This is two stage speed test so tests to the Hub and then separately to the connected devices.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own