Menu
JNorton
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I call BS...

So after ignored complaint (various issue from a lying salesman to poor install\speed) I got through to someone good today and while not able to help much he did suggest I check my speed more often during a five day period... so I have.

Paying for 200MB and great news, the recommended speed test speedtest.net gives me 201.96 - just like when I first joined and tested... wonderful... except...

Real life speeds are obviously much, much slower - its painful at times.

So lets go to somewhere else - maybe someone with masses of bandwitch and no obvious method to prioritise traffic..

Google Speed Test gives : 28.8 - hmn, thats odd... maybe something with them...

Bing then: 43, better but not quite 201 is it?

I guess the techies over at Virgin haven't hear of the Volkswagen emissions scandal!

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: I call BS...

Tested from what device and over a wired or wireless connection?

Also you pay for speeds up to 200Mbps.

Also speedtest for the likes of Google and Bing are usually not in the UK or local to you - usually in Ireland or the USA.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
JNorton
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the things to check, its over a hardwired gig network on a Win10 desktop - I'd hardly be complaining if it was over wifi... although that does suck too.

I took your advice and checked though - google.co.uk speed test - server location London 32Mbs down.

I alos tried a different browser (expecting that next) and got 26.3, again testing against London

I don't buy "up to" though, I'm paying for premium and plainly theres something very off if the recommended speedcheck site is fast, but pretty much everything else is slow - seems a lot like traffic is prioritised (like VOIP or streaming) so they can pull the wool over our collective eyes and blame every other website or service out there.

0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Just out of interest what do these testers (not recommended by VM as far as I know) show?

www.nperf.com

www.fast.com

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

There are plenty of people here who post poor results from speedtest.net on a daily basis, including myself a few years ago when my area had terrible over utilisation, so I don't think there's any scandal going on.

JNorton
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Now, that is interesting, and I could be after some humble pie.

Fast: 190 Mbs - Edit: I re-ran this as a single connection and it came back as 19Mbs (edit 2: 220Mbs if I run 10+ connections)
nperf: 221 Mbs
DSLReport : 149 Mbs

I'm now wondering if there are other elements at play here, why would general use seem so poor, could it be lots of smaller items over one large item (as presumably used in a speed test) or perhaps theres multi-threading going on, DNS maybe...

Also why would google and bing (google definitely UK, even if Bing.co.uk isn't) be so slow? (Edit I may have answered this above)

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

single-threaded speed tests will never get the max speed
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So speeds are fine then...?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What does speedtest.net show.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As Roger has said - speedtest.net to your nearest VM server always seems most reproducible for me too.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
JNorton
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Speedtest.net comes in high - always had - 210, still "feels" slow, but I'll just leave it Virgin have let me down in so many areas (credit promised and not delivered, dodgy wifi signal, poor install, didn't transfer the number) that amazingly this seems the least of their sins.
0 Kudos