cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am not getting 516 Mbps on my virgin media

malc2758
On our wavelength

I am not getting 516 Mbps on my virgin media is something wrong with my modem.

And getting message 

Looks like you’re having trouble connecting to the Hub

We can’t find any faults with the connection coming into your home, so we’ve got some tips for you to try. But when I click on the button not doing anything 

11 REPLIES 11

malc2758
On our wavelength

I am not getting 516 Mbps on my virgin media is that something wrong with my modem. 😢

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You need to test speeds like this to see whether the correct speeds are being delivered to your Hub.

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.

So, can you test speeds directly like this. As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I have recently upgraded to supper Hub 3 As was on the super Hub waiting for delivery will my speed be faster with this new hub 3 upgrade.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes

The SH2 can not be configured to go above ~200mbps.

For higher speeds you must have a Hub3/4/5. Check when you have that up and running

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John.

I have got my PC  working on  Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). And  NO other devices are connected and this is what I am getting but will be getting my New Updated Hub this Saturday and will see what speed I get then.

This is my speed now,

Latency
19.4 ms

Jitter
2.54 ms

Download
112 Mbps

Upload
10.7 Mbps

Regards

Malc

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - try with that - if you are still on the museum piece that is the SH1 that's about all you will get out of it and the Hub3 should sort it. Or are you on a SH2 ? If so that would max out at ~200/20 and you should be seeing that - unless the 500 upgrade hasnt been applied yet perhaps until the Hub3 is activated on your connection

When you get it working if speeds are the the same/low - then its your equipment that is limiting the speeds and you would need to test as I suggested above in safe+networking mode as well

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi malc2758,

How have things been since the new hub was received?

Alex_Rm

malc2758
On our wavelength

Hi

Received the new hub but has not made any difference to my speed still the same and I think was no point in upgrading.😢🤔 

Hi malc2758, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. Looking at the account, it may be worth double checking the package you are on. Sign in to My VM here. Once there you can view the speed of the service you should be getting. 

Just to be sure, I've taken a look at the hub and all power levels and signal levels are where they need to be. The uptime of the hub is great and the area network is also great. 

There doesn't appear to be any issues. 

Let us know how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs