cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am getting half the internet speed that I should be getting.

Macflame
On our wavelength

I am signed up for the Gig1 broadband package but since I signed up, around five months ago, I have never been able to get anywhere near the 1Gig speed. I get less than half that speed. 
Tested just now (22/12/22 11.03hrs.) and I get 16.7Mbps download speed. Way off the 1Gig I should be getting.
I have tried the problem checker and the Virgin bot reports that there are no problems in my area.
Is anyone in the S12 area of Sheffield having similar problems?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I personally doubt that many customers on the 1Gb contract use the full capacity very often. Virgin can offer this tariff at a higher price, confident in the knowledge that that it doesn't load their network much more than the slower, cheaper contracts.

It's probably of most use where you have several people sharing the feed between them, but even then they are each going to be limited by the speed of the servers they are connected to.

And yes, for optimum WiFi performance you need to be on the 5GHz band. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

27 REPLIES 27

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

What device are you using to test? 

How is it connected to the Hub? 

Which test site do you use? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Macflame
On our wavelength

I have a hub 4 connected to a cable carrying the Virgin Media data.
I am using a PC over 5ghz wifi but I have also tested it on tablets within 2m of the hub over wifi and did not get much more speed than the last test.
I have not tested a device via the ethernet cable socket.
The last speed test was carried out by the Virgin speed checker.
I have just carried out another speed test at 13.09hrs, using the Google speed checker. It gave me 266.1 Mbps download, and 35.6 Mbps upload with a latency of 18ms.
An improvement from the earlier test, but still far away from what I am supposed to be getting.

The reality is hardly any domestic WiFi devices are capable of 1Gbs.

To see the speed of the Virgin Media service to the Hub vs. what your phone / tablet achieves over WiFi try the link below:

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Do post the results to help the analysis.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

As @Client62 suggests, those aren't bad figures for WiFi on basic equipment. Do the test and that will show where the speed is dropping.

- jpeg1

Macflame
On our wavelength

Many thanks for your quick and helpful reply.
It would seem that my Hub 4 is getting the right speed. But I should be getting higher speeds on my 5Ghz connection, so I guess I will have to investigate that.
Is there a benefit in having a 1GBit connection to the net when I think most of our devices connect over 2.4Ghz bar a couple of phones? There could be four of us on the net at one time, two of whom would be using streaming services. So does the 1Gbit speed give us the ability to have devices accessing the hub?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I personally doubt that many customers on the 1Gb contract use the full capacity very often. Virgin can offer this tariff at a higher price, confident in the knowledge that that it doesn't load their network much more than the slower, cheaper contracts.

It's probably of most use where you have several people sharing the feed between them, but even then they are each going to be limited by the speed of the servers they are connected to.

And yes, for optimum WiFi performance you need to be on the 5GHz band. 

- jpeg1

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Macflame

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you are having issues with your service speeds. We can understand this is not ideal and we want to best help. I have had a look at your service and there does not appear to be any issues with your hub data. In this case, are you able to run a quick speed test on a wired device so we can determine where the issue may lay virg.in/speedtest ?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Macflame
On our wavelength

Hi Akua_A,
Sorry for the late response. 
Thanks to some helpful answers here, I have been able to ascertain that it is the wifi link between my PC and hub.
Today I am getting 17.2Mbs other days around 19-20Mbs. I am using the 5Ghz connection. Given that the 5GHz signal cannot go through walls,  I have extended my antenna and have it near my room door. I am on the same level as the hub, so I am assuming that I will need a WiFi signal booster to try and improve things.

Thank you for letting us know @Macflame and I am so sorry to hear the speeds are still lower than we would like. 

Are you able to used the connect app at all to run checks and order a WiFi Pod if needed? 

Thank you