cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 -sudden drop from 1.1Gb to 94Mb in download

ozsat
Superstar

So I check my download speed every few days to make sure I get what I am paying for,  Samknows real speed would usually come back with around 1140 and 940 - Ookla would come back with around 940Mbps too. During all this the upload is a constand 52Mbps.

Noticed things going slow on Sunday and the speeds had dropped to around 94Mbps download.

I have two different 1Gb network cards in the PC and swiitching between those (and SH4 ports) made no difference.

After a couple of power resets of the PC and Hub4 all went back to the expected rates.  I suispected the PC had got intob a weird state.

During yesterday I could tell from download speeds that things were not right again - and they were back to 94Mbs download and 52Mbps upload.

Tried the power resets again and still 94Mbps download via Ethenet. 5GHz Wifi is still working at over 300-400Mpbs which has never changed.

I have another device with a 1Gb card which would give similar speed results to those excepted - but that is now maxing at 94Mbps download too. A few other devices would usually achieve over 130Mpbs - and are all maxing at 94Mpbs too.

One device I could always get around 300Mbs download via Ethernet is now showing 94Mbps too - but still 300Mbs when switched to Wifi.

It seems the SH4 is auto-negotiating at 100 and not 1000 on all four ports. Config still shows 1 DOCSIS 3.1 channel connect and config download is still 1230000450.

Have done a pinhole factory reset and before doing any SH4 customisation I tried again and still only 94Mpbs on all four ports.

I am sure it is not a signal issue as Wifi is good and I'm getting between -1.1 and +3.0 on all power levels and between 37.3 and 38.8 on all SNR.

I've not seen anything in the logs to show a firmware update but the logs were lost here in the factory reset - currently cmreg-vmdg640-bbt076+voc-b.cm

I will call TS today and get them to suggest things but I can put the issue down to the SH4.

Power levels are mainly the same after the factory reset so within expected range.

Anyone any other ideas of things to try?

ozsat_0-1646888255871.png

ozsat_1-1646888282650.png

ozsat_3-1646888321561.png

ozsat_5-1646888347303.png

ozsat_0-1646888401223.png

ozsat_0-1646888586258.png

MOD EDIT: see message 109  for an update 

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5
218 REPLIES 218

@ozsat wrote:

It is a Hub 4 Firmware issue so Hub 5 should be fine. I'm told I can't have the Hub5 because I used a Wifi Pod (which I returned over 12 months ago) because it kept failing.

There are also supply chain issues (chip availability, shipping issues) getting more stock of the HUB5 hence why no roll out programme. Some stock for new customers or upgrading customers to 1gbps, or in special cases areas that have specific issues (like utlisation) and where customers on old superhub2/2ac/1. Anything else outside that has to wait for upgrades for now.....

Phatz
On our wavelength

Hi,

As a long shot , anyone know how to put the hub 4 in router mode with wifi / dhcp disabled and use my own router down stream as a slave until this modem issue is resolved or I get a hub 5?

Currently I have it in modem mode, with two ASUS rog routers.

I assume assign a static ip to my down stream router from the Virgin hub 4 and change the default gateway to the static ip address on my ASUS and in theory everything runs through it back at the higher speeds (nothing else plugged into the hub 4) ? Just a thought. Plus does anyone know if we can claim back the monetary difference of 1gbps running at 90mb?

Anyone from Virgin want to chime in?

cheers

SP89
On our wavelength
From what I'm reading, it's not possible to disable just the DHCP on the router. I could be wrong - I've not run router mode for a long time so I can't recall what options are available, and I'm not keen to change it because it means I've gotta change a whole bunch of settings across different network devices.

I'm not sure if that resolves the issue of the speed drop either. No-wifi and no-DHCP would be the equivalent of modem mode.

Last I read, Virgin weren't sending hub 5 out to existing customers due to fulfilment issues (still experiencing a knock-on effect in manufacturing due to the issues during the pandemic).

Only thing I can recommend right now is a reboot when the speed drop happens. That seems to fix it most times, though I did also have to reboot my router as well in order to get it back to full speed once (but it's also not happened for a month or so at this point).

Phatz
On our wavelength

Thanks for the info and your help, unfortunately after rebooting the hub4 in modem mode and down stream routers reverts to 90mbs after approx 10mins (have tried this repeatedly before) Even after each Ethernet ports given a go on the modem.

Much like all the other guys on this thread, other than a lucky small handful like your self.

Will keep persevering but if no change will look at a new providers - brsk seem to be a new internet provider on the block.

Does anyone know where to look for for firmware history of the hub4 and what is the last/ latest release?

cheers

I would say that yes you should be able to claim back from Virgin for not delivering the speed you are paying for, much like you can claim (like I had to recently) for an outage. The challenge is that Virgin aren't keen to help those using the hub in modem mode with other manufacturers equipment like I do with a Ubiquiti network. My problem was resolved once I managed to get on the phone with them and they sent an update or reset package down to my hub. It cleared whatever firmware bug there was and brought the LAN ports back up to Gigabit rather than the max 100MB connection it kept dropping to. So far it has remained stable since.

Anyone still getting this? Its never stopped for me? I constantly have to do resets. 

Also i'm still on the same firmware version as I was months ago "01.02.065.21.EURO.PC20

I presume this means there's no fix if its not been updated. 

I'm on the Hub5 now - but the issue never gave up on the Hub4.  But sometimes it went weeks without the speed drop.

Will maybe need to get onto them and get a hub 5, how did you get one? dont think im due to renew for 6 months. 

A couple of months ago a link was posted in several places to upgrade - which I did.

@LochyMacleod wrote:

Will maybe need to get onto them and get a hub 5, how did you get one? dont think im due to renew for 6 months.