Menu
paulreset
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hub4 on 1gig line - wifi less than 400

Hi,

I upgraded to the Gig 1 line last week and replaced my Hub 3 with a Hub 4. Since then the wifi speeds have actually been lower than they were when I was on the 500 package.

I’ve run a SamKnows test and the right speed is coming into the router, it’s just the wifi is a lot slower, then than 400 most of the time (I was getting almost 500 on the 500 plan most of the time)

Any help would be much appreciated!

B82DED0C-94E5-4BF4-BBA1-06A7FDB38DF5.png

Thanks, Paul 

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub4 on 1gig line - wifi less than 400

VM do not guarantee wifi speeds.  You need to test with a Cat 6a cable wired directly to the Hub with a gigabit capable device. 

You could also split the SSID and manually set your wifi devices to the 5Ghz band, as it is the fastest.

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It would seem (I cannot remember TBH) the HUB3 has better WIFI than the HUB4 but you would be looking at approx. 600Mb/s Max in ideal conditions in the same room or with a WIFI POD in other rooms so 500Mb/s was good depending on surroundings/devices on your old HUB.

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi @paulreset,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear you're having some problems with your wireless/Wi-Fi connection since changing to a Hub 4. Are all devices being impacted by this, or only certain ones?

Can you also test a wired connection (if you haven't already) to see if you're having any issues with that too?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
paulreset
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zach,

Thanks for getting back to me - all devices are being impacted - I've just tested using a wired connection and I'm only getting about 200 (varies between 180 and 220) at most.

Any ideas - could there be an issue with the router? Are there any other tests I can run to help get to the route of the problem?

Screenshot 2022-01-22 at 14.40.48.png

Thanks, Paul

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us @paulreset and I'm sorry to hear of your issues.

I have looked into your account and can see that there is a power level issue on your account that could be causing these issues and would need a technician visit to resolve this. I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment.
Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Regards,
Steven_L

0 Kudos
paulreset
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Steven, I don’t seem to have a private message yet but will keep an eye out.

0 Kudos
paulreset
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven - still no sign of a private message?

0 Kudos
Stobbsy74
Superfast
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@paulreset wrote:

Hi Steven - still no sign of a private message?

Make sure you are signed in, and click on the purple envelope at the top of the screen.

0 Kudos
paulreset
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, yeah I’m logged in. No message.

0 Kudos