Menu
KillStreak
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hub4 driving me up the wall

Be prepared for one hell of a long post.

Upgraded from M360 to gigabyte connection 2 weeks ago - speeds have never reached over 400mb at absolute screaming maximum.

Rang VM who said that it was probably a hardware issue my end - despite showing the same speed issues on 3 PS4's, an XBox one, 2 laptops with gigabit lan ports, and a gaming PC with a fully updated and working Realtek PCIe Gigabit Family Controller (rated at 2.5) - WiFi is equally as bad on 3 ipads and 2 mobiles. They usually average out at around 200mb/s. All cables are properly connected and capable of handling a lot higher speeds as was confirmed by an engineer today. Even he is at a loss as to why the speeds aren't getting to where they should be, or even half of that. Router has been replaced twice, no change.

I've tried everything now to get this sorted out and I'm at a loss at what else to do. Seriously considering cancelling my contract and putting up with 100mb less from a competitor for £25 less a month. 

I have literally gone down every avenue to get this to work, and I've spent countless hours just connecting and disconnecting devices, upgrading, installing, resetting and changing things around. 

No service status issues present, router diagnostics show issue with phone line but it isn't part of my package anyway. Tried running in modem mode, no change. Tried booting PC in safe mode and running, no change. Spoke to several "techs" who talk me through the same script every single time and yes, you guessed it, no change. I'm not technologically inept so I know the problem isn't with the speed going in (that's hitting 1024mb/s consistently), or the devices that receive it (they are all rated at 1gb+) - leaving only one possible issue, its the router. 

VM are refusing to let me cancel the contract despite not hitting promised speeds for over 2 weeks, and said I'm not entitled to any sort of refund until the issue is fixed, but they are unable to fix it.

If anyone actually knows of a compatible router that will help so I can throw this hub4 in the bin where it belongs, or knows how to fix this, I'd be eternally grateful.

BQM live graph attached, fairly new so should start to populate shortly.

BQM link 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub4 driving me up the wall

What speed do you get at >> Sam Knows Real Speed << using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
KillStreak
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Depending on time of day, on PC with Hub4 in router mode connected via 30cm long CAT6 it varies between 80mb/s and 211 mb/s on samknows. Same with speedtest.net. Average is around 120mb/s, with all other devices unplugged at mains to ensure zero pull.

**EDIT** Engineer this morning swapped cables out for cat 5e we had, and one that he had in his kit that was brand new. Same results. Now back to Cat6

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish. Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
KillStreak
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately "check router status" doesn't load properly on the Hub4 router login. You get the spinning loading gif, then blanks out not allowing you to go any further. 

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Try a factory reset, these are the instructions for a failsafe reset on a Hub 3 so may be worth trying ...

DO NOT DO THIS if the password on the base of the Hub is not legible or missing.

Instructions for Hub 3

Disconnect all unneeded ethernet cables from the rear of the Hub.

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar (I use a mobile phone SIM Slot tool) and do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Once a steady white and no other lights are illuminated check your system again.

0 Kudos
KillStreak
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Tried hard reset several times now, with all 3 of the routers that they have provided. Never makes a change. Done it so often I figured out the easiest thing to use is actually the tool for the sim tray on my phone. It fits perfectly....lol

No extenders, proxies or VPNs in use, no third party routers connected. WiFi in same room within 2m of router tends to be around same speeds - in the room next to it and one above speed drops to no higher than 25mb/s on the same devices. Its THAT bad.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Call it in as a fault (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

KillStreak
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Looks like I'm waiting here a few days then. I've rang about this 'fault' every day for the last 2 weeks... I now know the hold music off by heart.

Thanks for trying to help
0 Kudos
KillStreak
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Does anyone know if they can just re-connect the hub 3 to use that? As it's rated for 1gb but on DOCSIS 3.0 rather than 3.1

0 Kudos