Menu
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 31 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub4 Modem Mode Slow ASUS GTAC5300

The hubs are known not to like long cables do you know what type the 20m cable is CAT5e or CAT6?
---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Phatz
Tuning in
Message 32 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Apologies - correct

As i understand it - you have:

Hub <--->short patch cable<-----------20m patch in the wall--------->short patch cable--->Asus router ?”

however this has sat on a Virgin 350mb plan and hit 370mbps on average onthe existing set up before change to1gps plan. As mentioned speed seems to have picked up, am monitoring at present.

0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 33 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@Phatz wrote:

Is it me or an engineer call out?

Well, until you can say with absolute certainty that the internal cabling infrastructure is all good, i'd hold off on the engineer call out.. 

0 Kudos
Phatz
Tuning in
Message 34 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Yup the solid core are cat6a. Self terminated. When put in ran signal tests on either ends to make sure they were terminated ok before putting into walls. Aware of the patch cables don’t do anything or give me mixed results will look at possible reterminating. 

0 Kudos
Phatz
Tuning in
Message 35 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Just an update to say things have now become stable. The wan port is now sitting at 1gbps no interruptions and is not backing back down to 100mb. I expect as per previous comments it’s the constant unplugging plugging in on the wan port and lan port in the wall that’s caused some rubbish/ dust in the ports to get flushed out.

I am receiving on one device up to 900+mbps wired and up to 600mbps WiFi ,through speed test which is repeatable so this gives me comfort the speed from the hub is getting through the router. 

I have now disabled the BQM and FYI this from my noob perspective looked ok.

Many thanks to everyone for your help!

Stay safe!

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 36 of 37
Flag for a moderator

You are as well leaving the BQM running, it has a minute footprint and is always available for any future blips with the connection.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Phatz
Tuning in
Message 37 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike it’s well worth knowing about and something I will definitely be engaging. If anyone’s  interested have set up a script to call,  “speed ookla” via batch , had forgot about it for a while but I think you can set it up on windows or probably cron it on linux for every half hour or what ever you set it for. pM me if interested!

Mike just to mirror the BQM as that’s spot on. bTW am a noob (it’s obvious) bit having an external monitor and internal monitor is fab! 

0 Kudos