cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 1 Gig Slow than expected

npinks
Tuning in

I run a hub4 with 1Gig service, I connect a pan cable to TPLink Deco P9 to the hub4 to provide a mesh network around the house With the satellites Deco P9

i get 1100mbps at the hub4 with samknows, 

a desktop connected to the deco gets 800mbps, the same desktop to a satellite deco gets 200/300mbps, The Deco P9 has inbuilt  power line connections up to 1000mbps 

wifi connection to the Hub4 gets 600/800mbps, connected to the main deco only 200/300mbps on 5Ghz though deco says it should be able to get 875mbps

TPlink have done numerous tests and they say the Deco’s are running perfectly well

if this is the case, I might as well stayed on 350mbps service as nothing is receiving 1Gig

12 REPLIES 12

carl_pearce
Community elder

@npinks wrote:

I run a hub4 with 1Gig service, I connect a pan cable to TPLink Deco P9 to the hub4 to provide a mesh network around the house With the satellites Deco P9

i get 1100mbps at the hub4 with samknows, 

a desktop connected to the deco gets 800mbps, the same desktop to a satellite deco gets 200/300mbps, The Deco P9 has inbuilt  power line connections up to 1000mbps 

wifi connection to the Hub4 gets 600/800mbps, connected to the main deco only 200/300mbps on 5Ghz though deco says it should be able to get 875mbps

TPlink have done numerous tests and they say the Deco’s are running perfectly well

if this is the case, I might as well stayed on 350mbps service as nothing is receiving 1Gig

First thing to note is you won't see more than 940Mbps on any device connected to the Deco, due to the 1Gbps ethernet ports.

Unsure how you've set it up, however power-line adapters never work at their stated speed.

Since you are getting good speeds on the HUB 4, and real speed states full speed, I don't see how it could be your internet connection. 

I’m not blaming the internet connection as it states it’s hub4 is getting the speeds expected, but devices connected to a network that should be able to deliver faster speeds are not 

on Speedtest app, the speeds received are the same as the speeds I received on my 350mb service, so I’m thinking what’s the point of offer 1Gig is nothing changes in terms of speed. Fair enough if the speed is received at the hub4 but that’s not going to speed up connected devices if they don’t get faster than the 350mb service

@npinks wrote:

I’m not blaming the internet connection as it states it’s hub4 is getting the speeds expected, but devices connected to a network that should be able to deliver faster speeds are not 

on Speedtest app, the speeds received are the same as the speeds I received on my 350mb service, so I’m thinking what’s the point of offer 1Gig is nothing changes in terms of speed. Fair enough if the speed is received at the hub4 but that’s not going to speed up connected devices if they don’t get faster than the 350mb service

The faster speeds are about using devices concurrently.

On M350 several devices share 350Mbps.

On Gig1 several devices share 1130Mbps using the original HUB 4, or 940Mbps on a third party router/mesh system.

You've already proven that one wired device can get 800Mbps so I don't see the problem.

Your comment "the same desktop to a satellite deco gets 200/300mbps" is related to the hardware you are using.

Putting aside his 3rd party devices are far slower how is 800Mb/s from a possible 940Mb/s fine if 100% of the time.

And who says the faster speed tiers are for multiple devices getting used at the same time?  😕

You can't get the magic 940Mb all the time other people are using the internet too there's only so much bandwidth to go around.

---------------------------------------------------------------

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Let's be straight here. The 1g service is a marketing gimmick and you won't get that speed on devices around your internal network. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

@jhuk wrote:

Putting aside his 3rd party devices are far slower how is 800Mb/s from a possible 940Mb/s fine if 100% of the time.

And who says the faster speed tiers are for multiple devices getting used at the same time?  😕

VM themselves!

I was being both rhetorical and sarcastic as it is BS (I seen the same PR) and that was there "get out of jail card" as the HUB4 could not give the full 1Gb/s due to the limitation of the ports, now backtracked due to the HUB5.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Part of the issue is people expect to get 1GB and everything will magically get 1GB as well. User education about real world performance  needs to be made more available. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks