Menu
Nickcrouch
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hub3 won’t connect to connect app

Hi, I have several issues. I paid for 350 download and only get about 100 over WiFi. The second issue is that my internet drops out randomly everyday. The third issue is that when I try to sort these issues out the connect app doesn’t recognise the hub3. I’ve tried two phones to do this. Please help me. The customer service has been terrible, I can’t speak to a person or get a tech out, and I’ve written about 5 letters to customer complaints. Thanks, Nick

0 Kudos
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub3 won’t connect to connect app

Have you tried factory resetting the Hub by using the small pin sized hole at the back? A few things additional:

- WiFi or Ethernet?

- If WiFi do all devices connected to your WiFi drop at the same time or is it only certain devices whilst others stay connected?

- If you have any ethernet devices do they also drop or are they unaffected?

- With ethernet do you get 181Mb or above?

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos
Nickcrouch
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I will try the reset thing, although it's not worked previously.

All wifi - no ethernet connectivity connectors (many years since I did that!!!!)

The thing is that I have once recorded 347 Mbps, and a few over 300Mbps, but the average experienced is 140Mbps, and it's so variable hour to hour and day to day.  On a few occasions, it stops altogether.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with my home equipment. I believe it is Virgin limiting the speed to devices / homes depending on local demand.

0 Kudos
Nickcrouch
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have not had any advice that works - can I get a technical person to fix it?

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi NickCrouch, 

Thanks for using the forums to get help with your slow WIFI speeds, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration for you. I can see you've already given us some useful information which is that your connections are all WIFI and your speeds can be varied from high speed to limited.

I have already taken the time to check out your services on our side, I've also done a health check on your WIFI and it has come back as no fault found. 

This is highly possible that it's because you are using WIFI for all your network connections, it is and always will be a variable signal due to WIFI waves being susceptible to all sorts of disruption within the home. These could be things like thick walls, large electrical appliances, microwaves, and lots more!

However, there are ways to get around this you'll be glad to know 🙂

You can try connecting some of your devices like PC's & consoles via Ethernet, which is a much more stable connection than WIFI. 

You can also try using our Intelligent Wifi Pods to help spread the WIFI signal more evenly around the home, helping to keep the devices furthest away from the Hub connected and up to speed.

Please have a think about these points and let me know if you have any further questions 🙂

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Nickcrouch
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan,

So there are no barriers like the examples you included between my laptop/mobile and the router. I sit right by the router all the time and the wifi download signal is on average low (~100-150) whereas I have paid for 350. On occasion, I have been able to get ~300 on my laptop, demonstrating that it is possible to get the speeds I pay for.

What does your health check assess? Can you see 350 download at my end? I think if I'm paying for 350, then my current rates over wifi are unacceptable.

There is also the problem of the daily internet blackouts. Any thoughts there?

My queries about these issues go back quite a long time now and the only frustrating thing about this is the fact that Virgin won't even take the time to come out and look at this situation. I have sent a number of letters to the customer services director Karen Walker, but I have been pretty much brushed off.

I really think it is worth looking into the possibility that the problem is not the setup in the house, but something outside of my control. I really would appreciate some headway in that direction. I have tried all the reset and test processes numerous times.

If you want to send me an Intelligent Wifi pod then I'm happy to try it, but I think it is just delaying the fact that one of the virgin techs needs to take a closer look.

Nick

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nick,

I've taken another look at things and there is a WiFi coverage issue showing in your account. One solution would be to try using one of our Intelligent WiFi Pods. Please let me know if you would like me to order one for you, the Pods cost £5 a month or they are included with Ultimate Oomph and Gig1 packages.

With regards to the daily internet drop outs you are experiencing: how long do these occur for and do they happen at the same time every day?

Serena

0 Kudos
Nickcrouch
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Serena,

I don't think I should have to pay for a pod to get the internet speeds I already paid for. I'm happy to try a pod as a trouble shooting test as a step to getting closer to the answer.

The black outs happen randomly, no particular pattern.

Nick

0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Nickcrouch,

Thanks for getting back to us about this issue.

We're sorry to hear that you are not happy with your Intelligent WiFi Pod price.

Looking at your account, there are no issues that I can see on the system at the moment.

Would you be able to run a pin hole reset on your Hub and after the system is back up and running, please run a wired connection speed test to make sure you're receiving the correct speeds to your Hub. After that, please keep an eye on your WiFi connection to see if this issue is still active.

Can you let us know how long the disconnection lasts for?

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Nickcrouch wrote:

I have not had any advice that works - can I get a technical person to fix it?

Just some advice.  Post your power levels and network log.  Setup a BQM here www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

If you have any device capable of a wired connection to the Hub, use it to test.  Or buy an ethernet adaptor for one of your pieces of kit, it's a must really.

VM do not guarantee speeds for wifi, only wired to the Hub, so you need to prove the wired speeds first.

0 Kudos